All MLA candidates must complete the following as part of the 37-hour program:
- LA5003: MLA seminar, a one-hour introductory class (first fall semester)
- LA6103 and LA6203: Truth, Order and Beauty I and II, a two-semester (6 hour) core sequence
- One of the following:
- LA6503 and LA6513: Liberal Arts Thesis Project I & II (6 hours)
- LA6543 and LA6553: Liberal Arts Thesis I & Thesis II (6 hours)
- LA6123: Internship (track-appropriate)
- 18 hours of 6000-level courses (unless otherwise specified).
Off-Track Electives Requirement
Candidates electing to follow tracks in English Literature, Rhetoric and Composition, Rhetoric and Philosophy, Philosophy, Teaching English in the Two-Year College, or Social Sciences will select two or three off-track electives. At least one of these courses must be designated interdisciplinary (denoted by an asterisk in the course listings).
Before receiving an MLA degree, each candidate must complete either a thesis or thesis project unless completing the Teaching English in the Two-Year College track. Each candidate will also produce an MLA Portfolio.
Each student must maintain a 3.0 grade point average to maintain non-probationary status in the program.