Master of Liberal Arts

Graduate Certificate in English

Students who hold graduate degrees in fields other than English have the opportunity to work with specialists in literature, rhetoric, and composition.

Many states—including Arkansas and Texas—require anyone seeking to teach courses in English for college credit to hold a graduate degree (Master’s or PhD) and have eighteen graduate hours (six courses) in the field.

Students in HSU's certificate program can earn the eighteen graduate hours in English required to certify them for teaching at a high school, a two-year college, or a university.

The goal of this certificate program is to be as accessible as possible. Students can complete the program fully online within one calendar year.

For the required eighteen hours of course work, students may take any combination of English courses offered at the graduate level.

Coordination with the MLA Degree

The eighteen earned hours for the Graduate Certificate in English may also apply to completion of HSU’s Master of Liberal Arts degree.