The HSU Theatre and Dance program awards a variety of Performance Scholarships for students majoring in theatre. These scholarships are awarded to students who have the potential to contribute leadership to our production program by filling staff positions as performers, technicians, and production assistants.
- Scholarships are available to selected theatre majors who meet continued academic qualifications. Awards vary from $500 to $2,000 per year, renewable each semester provided that the recipient continues to meet all eligibility requirements, including a GPA of at least 2.5 overall.
- Eligibility for an award will depend upon the applicant's learned skills, demonstrated execution, maturity as a person and artist and potential in the chosen field as determined by the faculty.
How to Apply
- Applications should be sent to the Director of Theatre by February 15 for consideration for fall semester scholarships and by October 15 for spring semester.
- Include a resume, headshot and at least two letters of recommendation.
- Contact the Director of Theatre to schedule an audition/interview at email@example.com or 870-230-5037.
- Application forms for these auditions may be obtained here.
Audition and volunteer for assignment to a production crew for each show unless alternate arrangements have been made in advance with the Director of Theatre. If cast, you most likely will not be assigned other production responsibilities for that show. Likewise, if you are assigned to a specific crew, you may not be required to audition.
- Register for a minimum of 15 hours of coursework during the semester of the award
- Complete a minimum of 15 hours of coursework per semester
- Earn a minimum 2.5 GPA the semester prior to the award and maintain an overall minimum GPA of 2.5
- Register for THA 1241 or 3241, Theatre Practicum
- Become/remain an active member of Masquers
- Declare and remain a theatre major
Auditions and Interviews
Applicants for Theatre Performance scholarships should audition or have a portfolio review on the Henderson State University campus. Henderson State also participates in the Arkansas Thespians auditions and the Arkansas Audition Day. We strongly prefer that students who are seriously interested in our university come to audition on our campus.
- Acting students should prepare two audition scenes (memorized from a play, not a movie or film) of one minute each, one being contemporary (20th or 21st century) and the other classical (before 1900); one of the monologues should be comic and the other serious.
- Design and production students should call the Theatre Program for details relating to portfolio submission such as a design portfolio, artwork or other similar materials. Design/Technical students do not need to prepare a monologue. However, you are welcome to do so. If you are performing a monologue, please let us know when you check in.
- A brief interview will follow all auditions and portfolio reviews.
- For further information, call the HSU Theatre and Dance program at 870-230-5037.
Work study positions are available in scenery, lights, costumes, props, and theatre management. Students interested in these positions should contact the Director of Theatre to apply.