The Department of Art at Henderson State University is one of the best programs in Arkansas for those looking to become art educators, graphic and media designers, or stronger studio artists. The art faculty is composed of professional, award-winning artists, designers, and scholars who have strong roots in the Arkansas art and gallery community. In addition to their work in the classroom, each of our instructors exhibit their work and publish widely and consistently.
Why Henderson Art?
- Our department offers a small student-professor ratio in every class, which allows for hands-on learning and the opportunity for close, one-on-one mentoring and guidance. Our students love that our program is large enough to be comprehensive, but small enough to be nurturing.
- Each year, art students have the opportunity to travel abroad and receive course credit toward their degree. Most recently, our students have travelled to France, Spain, and Mexico.
- The department has organized a unique curriculum that ensures that every student will have multiple opportunities to exhibit their work publicly. Focused seminar courses prepare our students for professional careers so that they have a complete portfolio, professional resumé, and exhibition experience by their graduation date.
- All art students are exposed to a diverse curriculum that includes both a wide range of studio work as well as courses that provide an historical and theoretical understanding of art.
- The Department of Art facilities include ceramics and printmaking studios, a photography darkroom for film processing, several drawing and painting studios, as well as digital labs for graphic design and digital photography.
- Events throughout the year are scheduled so that our students have the opportunity to meet with locally- and nationally-recognized artists, educators, and speakers from across the country.
Alumni of the Department of Art
Graduates of the Department of Art work as teachers at K-12 schools and universities; exhibit their studio art; and work for design firms and in-house design departments for major companies and non-profits, including Walmart, Dillard's, and Arkansas Children's Hospital. Many of our alumni have found job opportunities as web developers for organizations such as Animation Mentor, while others work for gaming, television, and film companies, or other media-based businesses. Our program also has prepared students for post-secondary education, with many of our graduates going on to complete their Master of Fine Arts degrees at esteemed schools including Savannah College of Art and Design, Memphis College of Art, Louisiana Tech University, the University of Memphis, and the University of Arkansas.
Henderson State University
Russell Fine Arts Center
1000 Henderson Street
HSU Box 7733
Arkadelphia, AR 71999-0001