GUIDELINES FOR HSU POSTAL SERVICE
1. All interoffice and on-campus correspondence may be mailed without postage. On-campus mail must be placed in numerical order by box number, and banded separately from off-campus mail.
2. On-campus correspondence must be sealed before it is submitted to the HSU Post Office for distribution.
3. Please refer to the current Faculty/Staff Directory for correct box numbers. Bulk notices (not individually addressed) to faculty and staff may be placed in boxes. Please consult Post Office personnel prior to mailing bulk notices.
4. Place on-campus mail in the appropriate mail slot in the Post Office lobby.
POSTAGE METER MAIL
1. Letter-size envelopes may be either sealed or unsealed. Letters must be stacked with flaps flat for machine sealing. All other mail must be sealed.
2. International must be banded separately from other off-campus mail and placed first in the stack or box.
3. Method of mailing (1st class, book rate, library rate, etc.) for all packets, packages, and special handling mail should be clearly marked on the outside of the envelope or package. Items not marked with specific instrutctions will be mailed first class.
4. Please consult Post Office personnel regarding return envelopes to be enclosed in off-campus mail.
5. Place a completed Postal Services request form on top of off-campus mail.
6. Mail to be metered should be placed at the Post Office window by 1:30 p.m. for same day postage. Large mailings need to be delivered to the Post Office before noon.
USPS POSTAGE GUIDE
1. Post Cards: to be mailed at the post card rate the mailing piece must be at least 3 1/2 inches by 5 inches and must not exceed 4 1/4 inches by 6 inches. Post Cards exceeding the maximum height or length dimensions will require letter rate postage. Current first-class post card rate is $0.33 each.
2. Letters: First-Class Mail dimensions not to exceed 6 1/8 inches by 11 1/2 inches, 1/4 inch thick. Current first-class letter rate is $0.46 for 1 oz., and $0.66 for 2 oz. Letters exceeding the stated dimensions will be assessed a surcharge per piece in additon to applicable postage.
3. Packet: Any envelope larger than letter dimensions and not exceeding 12 inches by 15 1/2 inches. Current first-class packet rate $1.12 for a large envelope (2 oz). Packets may also be mailed at the 4th class rate.
4. Package: Any box not to exceed 80 lbs. Please consult Post Office personnel for current package rate.
5. Book Rate: Books and magazines only.
6. Priority Mail: Two to three day shipping. Priority Mail is not guaranteed. The rate up to one pound is $5.60. Small flat rate box is $5.60. Medium flat rate box is $12.35. Large flat rate box is $16.85.
7. Certified Mail: The rate for certified mail is $3.10, return receipt is $2.55 plus postage.
8. Money Order: Money orders can be purchased in the HSU Post Office between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. each work day. The charge for each money order $0-$500.00 is $1.20 and $501.00 to $1,000.00 is $1.60.
9. First Class Mail International: Letter size standard rate for Canada is $0.95, Mexico rate is $0.95. All other countries is $1.10.