Ronald E. McNair Postbaccalaureate Achievement Program
- Are you interested in learning about opportunities for graduate studies?
- Do you need help with the graduate application process?
- Would you want opportunities for research and design and a chance to receive up to $2,800 stipend for completion of your research?
- Could you benefit from visits to graduate programs to talk with graduate schools about enrolling into graduate studies?
The McNair Scholars Program at Henderson State Universtiy can help you reach your academic goals!
Office Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Phone: 870 230-5333 • Fax: 870-230-5281
McNair Scholars Program at Henderson State University
1039 Henderson Street
HSU Box 7711
Arkadelphia, AR 71999-0001
The mission of the McNair Scholars Program at Henderson State University is to prepare low-income, first-generation and minority undergraduates for graduate study at the doctoral level. Each year, 25 McNair Scholars participate in academic year and summer activities that include research, preparing for graduate school, teaching, and more. The McNair Scholars Program aims to increase the number of groups underrepresented in doctoral programs.
McNair Fact Sheet
Eligible candidates for the McNair Scholars Program are:
- Full-time students at Henderson State University who: a) have completed 45 college credit hours, and b) have a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0;
- U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the United States;
- Either a first generation college student (neither parent has received a four-year bachelor's degree) of any ethnic background who has a low-income level as established by the U.S. Department of Education; or a member of a group that is underrepresented in graduate education as defined by the U.S. Department of Education (African American, Hispanic American, Native American, or Alskan Native);
- Students who have a serious interest in pursuing graduate study leading to the Ph.D. This program is not open to students intending to pursue professional degrees such as medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine, management, or law.
REQUIREMENTS FOR APPLICANTS
- McNair Scholars Pre-Application
- Personal Statement.
- Three recommendations from instructors in your major area . At least one must be from a faculty member familiar with your academic work. In addition, if you are a former participant in any of the TRIO programs (e.g., Educational Talent Search, Educational Opportunity Center, Student Support Services, or Student Support Disability Services), one recommendation must come from the director/counselor of the TRIO program in which you participated.
- Copies of official transcripts from colleges or universities that you have attended other than Henderson State University.
- Signed and dated Financial Need Assessment and Documentation form, copies of appropriate federal tax form (see page 2 of application), and most recent financial aid documentation (see page 2 of application)
- Signed and dated Authorization and Affirmation. THIS PAGE MUST BE SIGNED AND SUBMITTED WITH YOUR APPLICATION.
Items 2-7 are a part of the application which is available in the McNair office.
Only students whose applications are complete will be considered for participation in the McNair Scholars Program at Henderson State University. A personal interview with the McNair Scholars Program Staff is a part of the application process. Applications must be complete before an interview is scheduled.