Communication is the essential skill for the Information Age.
- Communication builds careers, relationships and community.
- Career success depends on the ability to communicate effectively with others through various means, from face-to-face and electronic.
- Effective communication brings people together and brings about social change.
- Effective communication enables you to confidently meet and interact with other people, and to strengthen all of the relationships in your life.
- Famous Communication majors include NFL quarterback Donovan McNabb, actor Denzel Washington, Nightline host, Ted Koppel, and publisher Hugh Hefner.
Our communication classes provide collaborative learning in noisy, busy, interactive classrooms. Our students learn by doing in persuasive campaigns, debates, research projects, communication consulting, and a myriad other activities. They gain invaluable real-world advice & make career-building contacts when some of the region’s leading communication professionals visit classes during Communication Career Week. Our students also get the opportunity to shadow members of the International Association of Business Communicators for a day of education in the real world of public relations and business communication. Those who make the cut can hone their argumentation skills competing on a debate team that has won multiple state and national championships in recent years.
If expert guidance is what you want, Henderson is the place for you. You will find our communication faculty to have an engaging classroom manner that seeks to stimulate independent thought and effective communication skills among students. Outside of class, they are extremely accessible, devoting many hours to mentoring and advising.
Henderson Communication professors have international reputations within their specialties, as evidenced by invitations to deliver the keynote addresses at a number of academic conferences and being quoted in national and international newspaper articles. They have published articles, books [one recently co-authored a university textbook for comic art studies] and served on the Editorial Boards of academic journals. They have recently been recognized for their research with the Popular Culture Association’s Inge Award for Scholarship and one was even a co-founder of the Comic Arts Conference.
Good communication skills allow you to move through life with self-confidence and accomplishment.
The critical and creative thinking skills developed as an HSU communication major prepare our graduates for such diverse careers as sports publicist, campaign director, communication teacher, media specialist, communication consultant, v advertising copywriter. Many of our graduates have gone on to earn Masters and Ph.D. degrees and become lawyers, communication professors, or executives.