Information for Veteran Benefits
As a part of the Office of the Registrar, and not a division of the Department of Veterans Affairs, we serve as a liaison between HSU veteran students and the Department of Veteran Affairs. Located in Womack 210B, our primary purpose is to assist veterans in the processing of the VA forms required for educational benefits and to certify their enrollment to the Department of Veterans Affairs.
Veteran Student Responsibility
Because a student's entitlement is based upon the number of credit hours for which he/she is enrolled, veteran student enrollment status and academic program is closely monitored by the Veterans Services clerk in the Office of the Registrar. All initial enrollments and any changes are reported immediately to the Department of Veterans Affairs. Veteran students are responsible for initiating their certifications each semester or term, and they must do the following:
- Notify the VA Clerk EVERY term that they want to be certified.
- Register only for courses required for your selected degree.
- Do not register for courses you have already received a passing grade/credit in (even if taken at another institution).
- Notify the VA Clerk if you: (a) change programs, (b) change course load, even if it does not affect your VA benefits, (c) withdraw from classes, (d) do not enroll for a term for which certified, (e) terminate enrollment, (f) are placed on Academic Suspension, (g) change address, or (h) deplete your VA educational benefits.
How to get VA Benefits Started at Henderson State
- Stop by the office and see the Veterans Clerk Donna Hogan. Chapter 31 Vocational Rehab veterans should see Carolyn Nivens.
- New VA applicants should determine under what chapter they should receive VA benefits and bring their discharge papers (DD 214).
- In order to be certified, continuing VA students should notify the VA Clerk of their schedule after they have registered.
- Notify the VA Clerk of any changes in enrollment, even if it does not affect your VA benefits.
- Fill our appropriate forms when you drop a course(s), withdraw from school, or change major.
Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Office
Eligibility and payment questions should be directed to the Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Office:
Department of Veterans Affairs
Atlanta Regional Processing Office
P. O. Box 100022
Decatur, GA 30031-7022
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact our Veterans Affairs Clerk by phone at (870) 230-5121, or email.