Womack Hall Renovation Complete
December 2, 2011
ARKADELPHIA -- Womack Hall was constructed on the Henderson State University campus in 1937 as a dormitory with the look of a traditional college building. It was named for Joseph Pitts Womack, who served as Henderson’s president from 1929-1939.
In the 1970s, the structure underwent extensive modernization and expansion to convert the building into the university’s administration center. For the past 40 years, Womack Hall has housed the office of the president and vice presidents, along with student services, business office, residence life, financial aid and the registrar’s office, among others.
Womack Hall, a prominent structure that overlooks the university’s main entrance, has undergone another facelift that returned the building’s east facade to a traditional style. The additions that were made in the 1970s were removed and replaced with a more functional area.
Improvements include a new board room on the third floor, a new elevator and staircase, and new, modern restrooms. The current board room was converted to office space. While the facelift didn’t add square-footage to the building, it added “usable space,” according to Bobby Jones, interim president.
New carpet was installed in other parts of the buiding and some offices were relocated. New signage will soon be installed along with other furnishings.
The front doors open to a spacious lobby area on the first floor with easily-accessible facilities. The second floor is similar, but includes an area that provides an open view to the first floor.
Construction crews began the demolition process in March. The affected area was isolated from the original structure which allowed all offices to remain open during the renovation.
The project was made possible by Arkansas Recovery and Reinvestment Funds.