Homecoming at Henderson
Oct. 9, 2012
An exciting week of homecoming activities will begin Oct. 17 at Henderson State University. Events will culminate Saturday, Oct. 20, with the crowning of the 2012 homecoming queen, followed by the Reddies hosting East Central Oklahoma in a Great American Conference football game.
The Chamber of Commerce Community Coffee will start the activities on Wednesday, Oct. 17, from 9:30-11 a.m. at Arkadelphia Town Hall. The HSU Softball Home Run Derby will follow from 3-4 p.m. at the Delores Brumfield White Softball Field. Also on Wednesday, voting will start to select the top 10 Homecoming queen candidates.
The Heart and Key Homecoming Ceremony will be held Thursday, Oct. 18, at 7 p.m. in Arkansas Hall followed by the Homecoming bonfire at 8 p.m. at the intramural field.
Homecoming queen voting begins on Oct. 19, and an open house for alumni and friends will be held from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. at the Barkman House. An alumni reception at the President’s House will follow from 5:45-6:45 p.m. And at 7 p.m., the Black Alumni and Friends Banquet will be held in the Garrison Center Banquet Room.
Other events on Friday include:
• Homecoming Golf Tournament, 12 p.m. lunch and 1 p.m. tee time, DeGray Golf Course
• Physics Alumni Reception, 3-4:30 p.m., Reynolds Science Center, Room 131
• Delta Sigma Theta-Iota Chapter Alumni Reception, 5 p.m., Barkman House
• School of Business TALE Gate, 6-8 p.m., Caplinger Airway Science Center
• HSU vs OBU swim meet, 6:30-9:30 p.m., Duke Wells Natatorium
• Black Alumni and Friends Gathering , 9 p.m., Caddo Valley Event Center
On Saturday, the Golden Reddie Brunch celebrating the 50-year graduation anniversary of the Class of 1962 will begin at 10 a.m. in the Garrison Center Banquet Room. A variety of tailgating events are scheduled, with official catering provided by Slim and Shorty’s. The Reddies will take on East Central Oklahoma at 3 p.m. in Carpenter-Haygood Stadium. Pregame activities, including a Bell Jet Ranger Helicopter flyover and the crowning of the 2012 homecoming queen, will begin at 2:20 p.m.
Other events on Saturday include:
• Delta Sigma Theta-Iota Chapter 40th Anniversary Breakfast, 8-10:45 a.m., Education Center Room 108
• Zeta Phi Beta Sorority brunch, 8 a.m., Baptist Collegiate Ministries, 712 N. 12th St.
• Family & Consumer Sciences Open House, 9-10 a.m., Proctor Hall
• Heart and Key Alumni Coffee, 9:30-10:30 a.m., Garrison Center Galloway Room
• Alpha Sigma Alpha Alumni BBQ, 10 a.m.- 1:30 p.m., 858 N. 12th St.
• HSU Alumni swim meet, 10 a.m.- 12 p.m., Duke Wells Natatorium
• Reddies Baseball Alumni Softball Game, 10 a.m. -12 p.m., Clyde Berry Baseball Field
• The Showband of Arkansas Alumni Cookout 11 a.m. – 1 p.m., Evanson Band Hall
• Black Alumni and Friends tailgate, noon, Wells Gym tailgate area
• Alpha Sigma Alpha tailgate, noon., Intramural Field
• Homecoming tailgating, noon, Wells tailgate area
• Red Wave Alumni and Swimmer Awards Luncheon, 12:30 p.m., Wells Gym Lawn
• Alumni Reception for Classes of 1990-1995, immediately after the game, President’s Home
• Class of ’62 Blast from the Past Party, immediately after the game, Barkman House Lawn
• Homecoming Greek Show, 8 p.m., Wells Gym
• Black Alumni and Friends Mixer, 9 p.m., Caddo Valley Event Center
On Oct. 21, the Angelic Voices of Christ will have a reunion from 10:45 a.m.-noon at Greater Pleasant Hill Baptist Church.
For more information about Henderson’s homecoming and to see a complete schedule, please go to www.hsu.edu/alumni.