April 28, 2010 minutes
Henderson State University Assessment Team
April 28, 2010
Present: Wrenette Tedder, Ginger Otwell, Phillip Schroeder, Lecia Franklin, Margaret Hoskins, Bob Yehl, Jeff Bailey, Brett Serviss, Karen Spradlin, David Thigpen, and Debra Coventry
Absent: Pam Ligon, Matthew Kirkpatrick, Bernie Hellums, Joyce Shepherd
Guest: Vernon Miles
Next Meeting: TBA
A list of the 2010-2011 meeting dates will be sent out to all team members prior to the beginning of the fall semesters. The information will also include the meeting room.
Discussion was held regarding recognizing departments for their success in the assessment process. Options were discussed on whom to choose one academic and one non-academic department each year to recognize.
1. Wrenette Tedder passed out a possible template that was developed in 2005. This template is geared toward an application process where the departments complete the application and the team will evaluate the applications to select the department to recognize each year.
2. The Team could pick 3 academic and 3 non-academic plans they feel are successful and then choose from these plans.
3. The Deans could nominate plans and the Team would choose one department from the nominations.
4. The combination of 1 and 2 in case there are not enough applications completed.
After much discussion it was decided that Wrenette Tedder and Phillip Schroeder will pick 3-4 academic and 3-4 non-academic plans. The Team will look over the plans and choose the academic and non-academic department to recognize this year. The new process will be developed and set up during the fall semester.
Discussion was also held regarding how to recognize departments for their success. It was decided to recognize the academic department that is chosen during the faculty workshop in August. The recognized department will then be given a plaque and a luncheon for members of that department. At this time, the non-academic recognition will be planned for the spring staff awards.
There was also discussion on goals for 2010-2011. The following were mentioned:
1. Team member need to attend the AAACL meeting in the fall. The meeting will be set in May by the AAACL board. Once the date it set Wrenette Tedder will forward the information to each team member.
2. All departments must have their plans at an acceptable level. The Team will pick 2-3 departments who are lagging and concentrate on helping them.
3. The Team needs to continue their focus on communication throughout the year. SGA meetings, Staff Senate meetings, etc need to be included in the communication process.
The last item for discussion was the date the plans would 2010-2011 plans would be in TracDat ready for review. Wrenette Tedder stated that the plans must be in place by September 13th. If they are not in the system by the 13th Ms. Tedder will immediately contact the department to find out why they are not in the system. On September 14th Ms. Tedder will begin downloading the plans to send them out to the Team to review. Each team member will review the same plans they did the previous year. Books will be collated for each team member.
Dr. Miles thanked all of the team members for the dedication throughout the year to the Assessment Team.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:07 p.m.