November 13, 2007 minutes

Henderson State University Assessment Team
Meeting Minutes
November 13, 2007


Present: Wrenette Tedder, Ginger Otwell, Ed Conrad, Pam Ligon, Karen Spradlin, Patricia Weaver, Bob Yehl, and Flora Weeks

Absent: Terri Boone, Martin James, Lecia Franklin, Lauren Larey

Next Meeting: December 11, 2007, meeting place to be announced. 

Announcements 
Minutes from the October 16th meeting were approved with no changes. 

The undergraduate representative has been selected for the Team. Lauren Larey will be the representative. 

Ms. Larey has a class at the time the Team currently meets. Ms. Tedder has asked the Team to look at their schedules and establish a new time/day for the next meeting in order to accommodate Ms. Larey’s request. Since there is only one more meeting time before Christmas break, the Team set the meeting for December 11th at 3:00 p.m., which is during exam week. The Team will set new meeting dates/times for the Spring semester once school starts. 

Ms. Tedder will provide the Team a copy of the HLC Focus team’s report that was sent after last year’s focus visit in order for the team to know where the weaknesses are in regards to assessment on campus. 

Discussion
Pam Ligon, chair of the Non-Academic Handbook committee, gave her report on the progress the committee has made. Ms. Ligon gave the handbook committee members a copy of another school’s non-academic handbook to use to help design HSU’s handbook. The committee met and make the necessary changes/additions to HSU’s version of the handbook. There is one section left to look over and the committee hopes to meet after Thanksgiving to complete this section and put the handbook together. Ms. Ligon stated she would need to get with Ms. Tedder to get examples to place in the handbook. Once the committee meets again and she receives the information from Ms. Tedder, she will put the handbook together and present it to the Team for approval. Ms. Ligon said she will have the handbook ready for the next meeting. 

Ginger Otwell, Assessment Newsletter Coordinator, gave her report on the progress of the newsletter. Ms. Otwell stated she had not worked on the newsletter, due to lack of time to do so. Ms. Tedder asked the Team to forward anything they would like to see in the newsletter to Ms. Otwell as soon as possible for inclusion in the next newsletter. Ms. Tedder said she would gather NSSE information for the front page of the newsletter. 

Wrenette Tedder passed out the HLC criteria information to the Team to look over. This documentation was provided to give the Team an idea of what the higher learning commission will be looking for when they return for their 10 year visit in 3 years. 

Ms. Tedder asked if there was any other items that needed to be discussed. Ms. Ligon stated that the Team needed to make a schedule of the roundtables for the year. She also stated that if there are still departments that are not doing assessment they need to be identified.

The meeting was adjourned at 3:42 p.m.
 

 

 
about Henderson
 
 
 
 
Weather Icon
Javascript must be enabled to view the current weather conditions