January 30, 2007 minutes

Henderson State University Assessment Team
Meeting Minutes
January 30, 2007

Present: Carl Stark, Wrenette Tedder, Ginger Otwell, Pam Ligon, Lecia Franklin, David Thigpen, Karen Spradlin, and Lea McDonald

Absent: Bruce Smith, Haroon Khan, Jennifer Holbrook, Flora Weeks, Bob Yehl, Undergraduate Representative

Next Meeting: February 12, 2007 at 3:00 p.m.

Announcements 
The minutes from the previous meeting were read by the Team members. Pam Ligon made a motion to approve the minutes and Lecia Franklin seconded the motion. The minutes were approved. 

Meetings times for the Assessment Team have been set for every other Monday, beginning February 12, 2007, at 3:00 p.m. The location of the meeting will be sent to the Team members. 

Ms. Tedder asked the Team members how they would like to do this year’s assessment cycle review process. One option discussed was that each team member would get either 3-5 academic or 3-5 non-academic plans to look at this year. The team approved this idea and stated that with the smaller number of plans to look at that they would be able to provide more help to the plan coordinators. The plans would be rotated each year; however, they feel the plans that are weak need to be dealt with first. 

Ms. Ligon and Ms. Franklin asked about the results of the roundtable survey. They wanted to know how the roundtable was received so they could plan the next one. Ms. Tedder stated that she had the results and would distribute them. 

Lea McDonald was introduced to the Team members. Lea is the team’s representative for Graduate students.

Discussion
Dr. Stark, the Team Chairman, gave his chair report. He discussed that the Higher Learning Commission will be on campus on February 25, 2007 through February 27, 2007. The outcome of the 2001 HLC visit prompted the upcoming focus visit looking at student learning. A copy of the report that was sent to the Higher Learning Commission is available on-line for those who want to look at it.

Dr. Stark submitted a list of 5 points that he feels the Higher Learning Commission will be looking at during their visit. The points are as follows:
     1. Measureable student learning outcomes have been identified and made public for each academic program. The academic departments are using the Blooms Taxonomy to develop the learning objectives.
     2. Individual courses in each program contribute to the achievement of the program learning outcomes. Most of the departments have mapped their courses to each of the objectives.
     3. Each program extends the Liberal Arts core. There are several of the major programs that touch on the Liberal Arts core; however, not all of them do.
     4. Structures are in place for ongoing budgetary support, implementation and administration of the assessment program. HSU has monetarily supported its assessment efforts by paying for items like workshops to be conducted and purchasing the TracDat software.
     5. Baseline data has been systematically collected in each department using direct measure of student learning. Ms. Tedder stated that over 50% of the plans have closed the loop. There is no duplication right now because we are currently in the second year. Ms. Tedder is currently look at program review that different programs have had to submit through the years to show that we have historical assessment data. The assessment office is addressing the issue of those areas who have not done a plan yet.

Dr. Stark and Ms. Tedder stated that the Higher Learning Commission team will possibly want to meet with students to discuss assessment. The route that Henderson is looking as is having a select number of students who have had some involvement with assessment meet with the HLC team to discuss assessment. Ms. Tedder will meet with the Deans to get some names of students for the team to meet with. There is a possibility that we may be able to have the faculty, staff and students meet as a group with the HLC team to discuss assessment instead of individual meetings. We need at least 12 students. 

The faculty and staff need to be reminded of the assessment efforts at Henderson during the coming weeks. A newsletter will be going out within the next week or so in an effort to help with this issue. Dr. Dunn will also send out an e-mail on the upcoming focus visit. A survey is also being developed to send out to faculty and staff to see how much everyone knows.

A resource room needs to be set up for the upcoming visit. Dr. Dunn suggested using the conference room at the bed and breakfast. Dr. Marck Beggs and Ms. Tedder, who will be working together to set up the resource room, visited the bed & breakfast to look at the conference room. Since there is no lock on the door for that room, the issue of security has been raised. Two options have been made – 1) move the resource room to a more secure room such as the 2nd floor conference room in Womack or find a room in the Garrison Center; or, 2) have a lock installed on the bed and breakfast conference room door. Ms. Tedder is waiting on word as to which option to pursue.

Dr. Stark asked for a volunteer to chair the faculty roundtable committee and a volunteer to be the liaison between the General Education Assessment Committee and the Assessment Team. Since no one volunteered, he assigned Bruce Smith as the chair of the faculty roundtable committee and Haroon Khan as the liaison. The liaison will work with Dr. Marilyn Sommer and the Committee to help develop an assessment plan for General Education. 

With the upcoming HLC visit, Ms. Tedder passed out a tentative schedule for the two days the HLC team will be on campus. She stated that team members need to be available to act as escorts for the team. When the final agenda is available she will e-mail it to team members so they can sign up for times to be escorts.

The meeting was adjourned at 1:25 p.m.
 

 

 
about Henderson
 
 
 
 
Weather Icon
Javascript must be enabled to view the current weather conditions