November 3, 2005 minutes

Henderson State University Assessment Team
Meeting Minutes
Thursday, November 3, 2005


Present: Wrenette Tedder, Ginger Otwell, Lecia Franklin, Bruce Smith, Carl Stark, Bob Yehl, Katherine Woodall, Haroon Khan, Jennifer Holbrook, and Pam Ligon

Absent: SGA Representative, David Thigpen

Next Meeting: Thursday, November 17, 2005 

Announcements 
Wrenette Tedder forwarded the student learning assessment statement to Dr. Houston for approval. Dr. Houston asked her to thank the committee for their work in accomplishing the writing of the statement. He has forwarded it to the people in charge of updating the undergraduate catalog and the graduate catalog.

Tedder discussed with Dr. Houston the one-hour topic sessions that will be held with faculty and staff during the Tuesday/Thursday 12:30-1:30 times. Topics and times have not been set yet. She will get back with Dr. Houston to set the date and topic for the next session, which will be held prior to Thanksgiving.

Discussion
A new idea that is being developed is to award areas for the work on assessment. Dr. Houston, along with each dean, has promised to transfer money to assessment for such awards. The task for the Assessment Team is to develop the guidelines and criteria for awarding the areas. The Team will be responsible for evaluating the applications. The current thought is to give out the assessment awards during the spring, at the same time as faculty service awards. A subcommittee has been set up to look over the guidelines that were passed out earlier and make any suggestions/comments to Tedder at the next meeting. The members of the subcommittee are Haroon Khan, Bruce Smith, Carl Stark and Bob Yehl.

Deadlines have been set for completion of mission statements and goals by the Vice Presidents and Deans of each area. Tedder is sending out an e-mail to the Vice Presidents and Deans to let them know that their mission statements and goals must be in TracDat by November 18, 2005. All others must have their plans, goals, objectives and measure in TracDat by December 7, 2005. The Team will look over the non-academic plans by February 1, 2006 so that the departments can move forward and begin collecting data.

Tedder will be holding workshops on developing mission statements, goals, etc before Thanksgiving to any department that requests help.

A draft copy of the next Assessment Newsletter was passed out to the Team. The Team was asked to forward any comments/suggestions to Ginger Otwell as soon as possible so the newsletter could be completed and sent out. Distribution of the newsletter was discussed among the Team. It was agreed that the first newsletter would be sent out via regular mail to faculty/staff and be put into the student commuter lounge. The newsletter will be published every other month. 

Tedder stated that she and Dr. Houston will be visiting with the Oracle to see about getting articles published in the Oracle regarding assessment and the upcoming NSSE survey.

Due to the end of the fall semester coming up, Tedder asked the Team if there was anything specific they would like to see accomplished prior to the end of the semester.

The meeting was adjourned at 3:00 p.m.
 

 

 
about Henderson
 
 
 
 
Weather Icon
Javascript must be enabled to view the current weather conditions