March 9, 2005 minutes

Henderson State University Assessment Team
Meeting Minutes
Wednesday, March 9, 2005


Present: Wrenette Tedder, Ginger Otwell, Lecia Franklin, Haroon Khan, Carl Stark, David Thigpen, Bob Yehl, Jennifer Holbrook, and Bruce Smith

Absent: Pam Ligon, Roberta Miranda, Tisha Smith

Next meeting: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 at 3:00 p.m. in the Dawson Room

Announcements
Minutes were approved for the last meeting, with the correction of a grammatical error and the correction of adjournment time.

School of Business - all of their revisions will be submitted to her office after Spring Break.

Teacher’s College Henderson - with the exception of Counseling, all plans have been submitted to her office. Counseling will submit their plans after finishing their accreditations.

Ellis College – Biology and Chemistry has submitted their plans. Dr. Houston will be meeting with Dr. Sommers to find out the status of the rest of Ellis College. 

Non-Academic Areas – The Assessment presentation has been developed. The Vice Presidents are submitting a list of the attendees for their divisions who will be invited to the workshops. There will be several sessions a week for the non-academic areas to attend and it will focus mainly on what assessment is about (terminology).

Workshops for Academic Areas – The Assessment & Research Office will be holding some workshops for these areas dealing with developing measures. These workshops will be held after Spring Break.

Talking Assessment with Students – Mrs. Tedder met with Chad Fielding and he will be setting up meetings with the Student Activities Board, Student Government Association and Greek Council to discuss assessment at HSU. It was also suggested by Mr. Fielding that assessment be discussed in Heartstart and Henderson Seminar.

Website – The Assessment and Research Website will be updated this semester to include more information on assessment.

Discussion
Course Syllabus – Mrs. Tedder passed out a copy of the templates used by SAU for their course syllabi. A discussion was held regarding whether the Assessment Team wanted to approach Dr. Houston with a recommendation to have course syllabus templates developed for each area to use. The template would include an assessment statement. This would be another way of letting students know about assessment and would show the Higher Learning Commission that we are dedicated to assessment. Mrs. Tedder asked Dr. Smith, Dr. Khan and Dr. Stark to bring in a copy of the course syllabus that are used in their area at the next meeting.

Catalogs – An assessment statement needs to be adopted into future HSU catalogs. In the meantime, an addendum needs to be made to the catalogs on the web with an assessment statement. Mrs. Tedder asked for the Team to e-mail her possible statements prior to the next meeting so that they can be discussed at the meeting and a statement can be developed.

A copy of the Assessment Program Progress Report sent to Dr. Dunn was given to the Team so they would know where Henderson is in regards to Assessment.

The meeting was adjourned at 4:30 p.m.
 

 

 
about Henderson
 
 
 
 
Weather Icon
Javascript must be enabled to view the current weather conditions