February 10, 2005 minutes

Henderson State University Assessment Team
Meeting Minutes
Thursday, February 10, 2005

Present: Wrenette Tedder, Ginger Otwell, Lecia Franklin, Jennifer Holbrook, Pam Ligon, Roberta Miranda, Bruce Smith, Carl Stark, David Thigpen, and Bob Yehl

Next meeting: Tuesday, February 22, 2005, 3:30 p.m., Location to be determined

Announcements
New members were introduced. Lecia Franklin is replacing Susan Collie as the Finance and Administration Division representative. Roberta Miranda is replacing Dawn Higgs as the new Graduate School representative. Tisha Smith, who was not present at the meeting, will be replacing Thomas Nichols as the Student Government Association representative. 

Items distributed to the Team included: 2005-2005 membership list, the Assessment Matrix, a “draft” of the 2005-2006 Assessment Planning Guide, and the “proposed” Academic and Non-Academic assessment cycle forms.

Mrs. Tedder presented a recap of last year’s progress to the Team. The revised assessment plans from the academic departments are due in to her office by February 28th. Mrs. Tedder has met with several of the departments to go over their plans and advise them on the areas that they need to rework before resubmitting the plans. The Assessment Office has been pursuing software to help smooth out the assessment process. At this time we have not found any software that is affordable. 

Mrs. Tedder also announced that North Central will be on campus between December 2005 and February 2006.

Mrs. Tedder stated that the Team needed to develop a statement to go into the next Undergraduate and Graduate catalogs about Assessment so that North Central will know we are committed to Assessment.

Mrs. Tedder asked the Team to decide on the day, time and frequency of future meetings. 12:30-1:30 was mentioned in the meeting; however several members are currently serving on Strategic Teams that meet during this time. It was decided that, for the present, the Team would meet every 2 weeks on Tuedays at 3:30 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. The tentative schedule is February 22nd, March 8th, March 29th, April 12th and April 26th.

Discussion
Assessment Matrix – Mrs. Tedder passed out the Assessment Matrix that is being used by North Central and asked the Team to look over the matrix prior to the next meeting. At the next meeting, the Team will discuss where they feel Henderson is (beginning implementation or making progress) in regards to the various areas of assessment. 

Academic Assessment Cycle – Mrs. Tedder stated that the Academic assessment plans were to be revised and submitted to her office by February 28th. She also stated that Columns 4-5 would be submitted to her office by May 13th, prior to the faculty leaving campus for the summer. There was discussion on the 2005-2006 cycle and when the assessment activities would take place. 

Non-Academic Assessment Cycle – Mrs. Tedder passed out the “tentative” cycle dates for the non-academic areas and asked for help from the Team to develop dates for submission and assessment. After some discussion, it was decided that Mrs. Tedder would get with each of the Vice Presidents to find out what their goals were and to set up training for their areas in regards to developing assessment plans. The Team stated the training needed to be completed by Spring Break so that the areas would have sufficient time to submit the plans. A tentative date of April 15th was set for submission of the plans with the submission of Columns 4-5 being submitted by August. The Team stated that, if needed, Mrs. Tedder should approach Dr. Dunn and ask for his support in obtaining cooperation with the various Vice Presidents.

Mrs. Tedder reminded the Team to look over the Assessment Matrix so that it could be discussed at the February 22nd meeting. A notice will be sent out with the location of the meeting once it has been set.

The meeting was adjourned at 4:30 p.m.
 

 

 
about Henderson
 
 
 
 
Weather Icon
Javascript must be enabled to view the current weather conditions