January 24, 2011 minutes
Henderson State University Assessment Team
Dawson Room, 4:00 p.m.
January 24, 2011
Present: Debra Coventry, Chad Fielding, Lecia Franklin, Margaret Hoskins, Lenette Bailey Jones, Pam Ligon, Vernon Miles, Brett Serviss, Philip Schroeder, Karen Spradlin, Wrenette Tedder, Bernie Vellum, Hope Warner Bob Yehl
Next Meeting: February 7, 2011 (committee meetings)
Chair Phillip Schroeder called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m. He announced that the deadline to submit articles to Ginger Otwell for the February Assessment Brief is February 4, 2011. Both a hard and electronic version will be sent out to the campus community.
Assessment Team Undergraduate Representative. Phillip asked for names of sophomore students who might serve on the Assessment Team. Ideally, the student selected would serve on the Team through the HLC visit.
Discussion, Time-Table and Goals. A committee list for the University Assessment Plan, Assessment Team Handbook, and the Assessment Team Assessment Plan was distributed. The committee membership is as follows:
University Assessment Plan Committee: Vernon Miles and Wrenette Tedder, co-chairs, Bernie Hellums, Lecia Franklin, Brett Serviss, Lenette Bailey-Jones, Karen Spradlin, and Chad Fielding.
Assessment Team Handbook Committee: Hope Warner and Margaret Hoskins, co-chairs, Phillip Schroeder, Wrenette Tedder, and Ginger Otwell.
Assessment Team Assessment Plan Committee: Pam Ligon and Wrenette Tedder, co-chairs, Bob Yehl, Debra Coventry, and Joyce Shepherd.
Wrenette charged the University Assessment Plan Committee with the task of tying in the results from the national surveys to the University Assessment Plan as well as to the University’s Strategic Plan. The targeted completion deadline is March 2011. This Plan will first be approved by the Assessment Team then distributed for approval to both Faculty and Staff Senates before heading to the Cabinet and Board respectively. The Board of Trustees is tentatively scheduled to meet either May 12, 19, or 20th.
It was suggested that if there are no pressing agenda items for the Team during their regularly scheduled meeting the committees could work on their assignments.
Wrenette will schedule a day and time for the University Assessment Plan Committee and notify the members.
The Assessment Team Handbook will be a resource for the HLC Team. The targeted deadline for completion is May 2011.
Wrenette distributed information from the 2007 Focus Visit Follow-Up. During the visit in spring 2007 the evaluators found significant progress in the area of assessment. However, there is still need for improvement in the following areas:
• Henderson needs to utilize the knowledge and skills of those more proficient in measuring student learning outcomes to support and mentor those whose efforts are more naïve.
• The institution collects data from a variety of national surveys of students and its workforce, but needs to utilize the data to inform the organization.
• The Assessment Director and Team needs to continue to be a powerful force ensuring that momentum exists for effective assessment at HSU.
• Efforts need to be developed to track student progress through the general education core and how existing courses incorporate liberal arts competencies into their coursework.
• The institution needs to capture 100% in “Closing the Loop.”
• Henderson needs to refocus their efforts on ensuring that actions taken in response to assessment information is captured and celebrated.
• The institution needs to develop and assessment plan for the liberal arts core.
Discussion followed. An emphasis was placed on the urgency to complete the last goal: The institution needs to develop an assessment plan for the liberal arts core.
Phillip asked the costs of some of the nationally recognized tests. Wrenette remarked that some run as much as $10,000.
It was agreed to use the February 7, 2011, meeting timeframe to work within our individual committees.
Dr. Miles asked that the University Assessment Plan Committee meet in the Dawson Room on February 7 at 4:00 p.m. Margaret said her Handbook Committee will meet in the School of Business Conference Room, third floor. Bob Yehl will schedule a room in Huie Library for the Assessment Team Assessment Plan Committee meeting.
There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 5:05 p.m.
Pam Ligon, secretary