February 21, 2011 minutes
Henderson State University Assessment Team
Dawson Room, 4:00 p.m.
February 21, 2011
Present: Debra Coventry, Chad Fielding, Lecia Franklin, Bernie Hellums, Margaret Hoskins, Lenette Jones, Pam Ligon, Vernon Miles, Brett Serviss, Phillip Schroeder, Blake Smith, Karen Spradlin, Wrenette Tedder, Hope Warner, Bob Yehl
Absent: Ginger Otwell
Next Meeting: March 7, 2011
Chair Phillip Schroeder called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m.
Prior to today’s meeting, Dr. Miles emailed the Team “Signs of HSU Institutional Commitment to Assessment” and asked for additional items. The complete list is as follows:
• 2003 Hiring of a Full-Time Director of Assessment; Having the Director of Assessment as a Direct Report to the Provost
• Professional Development/Travel Support for Director of Assessment
• Support of Travel of HSU Faculty to State Assessment Conference
• Formation and Continual Support of University Assessment Team
• Representation of Diverse Areas of Campus on Assessment Team; Inclusion of the Dean of Students on Assessment Team; Expansion of Assessment Team Membership to Include More Representation of Ellis College
• Assessment Team Membership’s Commitment to Remain on the Assessment Team through the Higher Learning Commission Visit and Response Period
• Wide, Detailed Dissemination of Assessment Team and Assessment Office Activities to President’s Cabinet, the Deans, Faculty Senate, Staff Senate, and other Groups
• Creation and Use of Quick Reference Guide to Assessment
• Provost’s Regular Attendance at Assessment Team Meetings and Involvement with Assessment Team Initiatives
• Regular Support of Publication of Assessment Newsletter; Columns Written by Diverse Members of the Assessment Team and Others
• Securing of the TracDat assessment data management system
• Commitment of Departments and Units in Meetings with Assessment Team Members to Analyze their Unit/Program Assessment Plans
• Institutional Commitment to Sending HSU Higher Learning Steering Committee Members to the HLC Meetings in Chicago for 2010 and 2011
• President’s Endorsement of Aligning of HSU’s Strategic Plan with Higher Learning Commission Criteria for Accreditation; President’s Recognition of Assessment Efforts of HSU Community
• Instituting of Two Annual Assessment Excellence Awards (one to an academic program and one to a non-academic unit)
• Instituting Outside Consultant Visits to Evaluate Assessment Plans (last one in 2006)
Wrenette handed out a follow up on General Education Assessment Progress.
February Newsletter. Wrenette is completing the February newsletter.
Updates from Subcommittees:
University Assessment Plan: Wrenette distributed minutes for this group and indicated she is in the process of editing the committee’s suggested changes. The goal of this subcommittee is to bridge the Strategic Plan with the University Assessment Plan.
Assessment Team Handbook: Margaret distributed minutes from this group. She informed the Team that rather than a notebook, the subcommittee recommends that materials be provided online on the HSU Assessment webpage. The content would included the Team member’s bios, rubrics, a departmental assessment resource section, minutes from Assessment meetings, newsletters, an Assessment history and timeline. It was suggested to include the Planning Guide and to break down the rubrics for both academic and nonacademic units.
Discussion followed as to where to find TracDat on the new web site. Wrenette said it is located under “Academic Resources.” Chad suggested a “survey” link be placed on our web to steer the campus community to one location for all administered surveys
Assessment Plan for the Assessment Team: Minutes were distributed. Pam stated her subcommittee has met twice. A mission statement has been formulated and the committee is working on their goals and objectives. This information will be provided to the Team for their comments and approval later this semester.
Higher Learning Commission Criterion 3 and 4: assessing the documents: It was suggested that Wrenette invite Jennifer Ford, Angela Boswell, and the co-chairs of Criterion 3 and 4 to one of meetings to ensure those criterion captured the necessary assessment components. The earliest date would be March 28.
There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 5:00 p.m.
Pam Ligon, secretary