The Writing Center in McBrien 108 offers writing assistance from graduate assistants and writing tutors and is equipped with a 25-station computer lab.
Writing Center Hours
To make an appointment please contact us at (870) 230-5357 or stop by.
Tweet your grammar questions to us @WC_HSU.
Services We Offer
- Help strengthening specific writing skills or correcting writing problems*
- Help getting started on a writing assignment
- Answers to writing questions
- Access to computers for students working on writing assignments
- Writing reference books and a quiet study area for students working on writing assignments
- If requested by the student, tutors and graduate assistants will send a note to a student's professor letting him or her know what skills were worked on during a writing consultation at the Writing Center.
**Please note that the Writing Center tutors will not proofread, write, or re-write students' papers. Tutors will, however, help students to improve their own writing skills so that they will be able to use these skills more effectively.
For additional online writing resources and writing tips click here.
What to Expect When You Visit
When you come to the Writing Center you will work one-on-one with a graduate assistant or writing tutor. Please bring a list of specific questions or areas you need help on. Also bring:
- a copy of your assignment sheet
- two copies of your paper (typed and free of editing marks)
- paper and pencil
We will not proofread or edit papers, but we can help you develop these skills. Statistics show that students who take advantage of a writing center become better writers and make better grades on their papers.
For additional questions about the Writing Center, please contact Ms. Martha Dale Cooley, director of the Writing Center.
HSU WRITING CENTER MISSION STATEMENT
The HSU Writing Center supports HSU’s mission statement by encouraging students to analyze, synthesize, and articulate the materials they have read; this enables them to produce creative and scholarly papers that are logical, critical, and effective. Collaborating with Writing Center tutors, students learn appropriate uses of technology essential for research in their scholarly endeavors, enhancing their mastery of the written language.