In-state vs. Out-of-state Tuition

Requirements for Bonafide Arkansas State Resident

Students who do not qualify for one of the out-of-state waiver programs (see Part B below) will only be granted in-state tuition if he or she is a bonafide domiciliary of Arkansas and have resided in the state as such for at least six consecutive months prior to the beginning of the term or semester for which tuition/fees are to be paid.

An out-of-state student enrolled for a full or substantially full (more than half-time) program of courses at an educational institution in Arkansas is considered to reside in the state primarily for the purpose of attending school and not for the purpose of establishing in good faith a true, fixed and permanent home constituting an Arkansas domicile.

Continued presence in Arkansas during vacation periods or during a period or periods when not enrolled in an educational institution, where any one such period does not extend for at least six continuous months, shall not justify reclassification to in-state status.


A legal home and place of permanent living in Arkansas. The intention to make this the student’s permanent home has been manifested objectively by good faith acts. Mere physical presence alone is insufficient.

Dependent Upon Domicile of Parent or Parents

When a student’s status is dependent upon the domicile of his or her parent or parents, the definition above (domicile) shall govern the determination of parental domicile. Neither the mere fact of presence in Arkansas with his or her children while the latter are attending a college or university or some other educational institution in Arkansas, nor the mere ownership of property located in Arkansas is sufficient, but will be considered along with all other pertinent circumstances.


Initial classification as an out-of-state student shall not prejudice the right of that student to be reclassified thereafter for following semesters or terms of enrollment as an in-state student, provided he or she has actually acquired such domiciliary prior to his or her reclassification by a college or university. Similarly, an in-state student shall be reclassified for future semesters and terms where his or her domicile is moved to some other state. Students wishing to petition for reclassification must submit a Residency Affidavit with all required documentation to the Registrar’s Office.

Student Responsibility For Accurate Residency Status

The responsibility for registering under a proper classification for tuition/fee charges is placed upon the student; and it is the duty of all students to raise any questions about residency status prior to each registration period.

Armed Services

A person in the armed forces does not gain or lose resident status by merely being in the military.

Out of State Waiver Arkansas Tax Payers in Contiguous State & County

Pursuant to Act 1185 of 1995, Section 34 (A.C.A. 6-60-303 and 19-5-1076) bonafide Arkansas income taxpayers and their dependents who reside in a bordering state in a county or parish contiguous to an Arkansas county in which a public institution of higher education is located may be granted an out-of-state tuition waiver by any Arkansas public institution of higher education.

  • Counties/Parishes Contiguous to Arkansas Counties Containing a College/University

    • Oklahoma: Delaware County; Adair County; Sequoyah County; La Flore County; McCurtain County
    • Texas: Bowie County
    • Louisiana: Webster Parish; Claiborne Parish; Union Parish
    • Mississippi: Coahoma County; Tunica County; Desota County
    • Missouri: Pemiscot County; Dunklin County; Ripley County; Oregon County; Ozark County; Taney County; Barry County; McDonald County
  • Qualifying Students Must Provide Proof of the Following
    • (A) Proof of residence in another state’s county or parish which is contiguous to an Arkansas county in which a public institution of higher education is located, AND
    • (B) Documentation (W-2 or copy of Arkansas income tax form as filed) of receipt of wages from an Arkansas employer of a minimum of $5,500 in the tax year preceding enrollment, OR
    • (C) Official verification from an Arkansas employer of current employment at a minimum current year salary of at least $5,500, OR
    • (D) Documentation that the student is a dependent of a nonresident Arkansas income taxpayer who provides documentation satisfying the conditions of paragraphs (A), (B) or (C) above.

Out-of-State Waiver (Non-Contiguous State & County)

    • Student must be a recipient of an academic scholarship, performance scholarship or a combination of both, equal to or exceeding the in-state tuition charges each term.
    • Students must live in university-owned housing and purchase a meal plan if applicable based on the policy of the Office of Residence Life.
    • Out-of-state waiver recipients must be full-time students and maintain satisfactory academic standing.

Veteran’s Choice

    • The Federal Veteran’s Choice Act permits all students who met the following requirements to be charged in-state tuition or otherwise be considered an Arkansas resident for tuition purposes. In order to obtain this benefit students must first visit the Registrar’s Office and be certified for their V.A. benefits.
    • A Veteran using educational assistance under either Chapter 30 (Montgomery G.I. Bill – Active Duty Program) or Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 G.I. Bill), of Title 38, United States Code, who lives in the State of Arkansas while attending a school located in the State of Arkansas (regardless of his/her formal State of residence) and enrolls in the school within three years of discharge from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
    • Anyone using transferred Post 9/11 Bill benefits (38 U.S.C. 3319) who lives in the State of Arkansas while attending a school located in the State of Arkansas (regardless of his/her formal State of residence) and enrolls in the school within three years of the transferor’s discharge from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
    • Anyone described above while he or she remains continuously enrolled (other than during regularly scheduled breaks between courses, semesters, or terms) at the same school. The person so described must have enrolled in the school prior to the expiration of the three-year period following discharge or death described above and must be using educational benefits under either Chapter 30 or Chapter 33, of Title 38, United States Code.

AR Code 6-60-205: In-State Tuition for Veterans & Military Personnel/Dependents

    • Regardless of residence, a state-supported institution of higher education, trade school, or vocational school shall classify a student as in-state, in-county, in-district, local, or resident for the purpose of tuition and fees applicable for all programs of study, including distance learning programs, if the student is a:
      • (1) Veteran who was discharged or released from a period of not less than ninety (90) days of active duty in the military, naval, or air service within three (3) years before the date of enrollment in a program of study;
      • (2) Dependent of a veteran under subdivision (1) of this section;
      • (3) Member of the armed forces; or
      • (4) Spouse of a member of the armed forces.