Frequently Asked Questions

If you have a question that is not answered, always contact us at

When must I arrive at Henderson State University?

Arrival dates vary from semester to semester. For arrival dates please consult the Planning and Arrival information on our website. Henderson will provide transportation from the Little Rock Airport only for new international students who arrive on the specified arrival dates and who have submit an Airport Greeting Request Form, which is also found on the Planning and Arrival information web page. Students who arrive before or after the arrival dates, or who have not submitted an Airport Greeting Request Form, will need to make other transportation arrangements. Students who do not arrive in time for New International Student Orientation may not be admitted to Henderson and will be required to return home.

Where will I live as a first year international student?

First year male students live in Newberry Hall. First year female students live in Smith Hall. The International Student House does have rooms for international students, but these are generally reserved for students who have completed their first year of study at Henderson. To secure a place in university accommodations, a student must complete the application for housing and board and must pay a $50 application fee. The International Programs Office does not assign rooms and does not have authority over the university halls of residence. For information about university accommodations, please contact Residence Life at

How do I get a social security number?

Social Security Cards are issued by the Social Security Administration of the U.S. Federal Government and not by Henderson State University. In order to be issued a social security number, a student must have a job on-campus. Only students securing approved on-campus employment are eligible to apply for a social security card. However, On-campus jobs are very limited for international students.

If you are offered an on-campus position, please have the Henderson Department or Faculty Office contact the International Office. We will supply the job supervisor with a social security letter from our office. The supervisor will complete his or her designated portion of the letter. The Director of International Programs must then sign the letter. You will then need to take the following to Social Security Office in Hot Springs for processing:

  • Current I-20
  • Passport, visa, and I-94 card

The International Office does not provide transportation to the Social Security Office. First year students are absolutely prohibited to work off campus.

Are international students eligible for scholarships?

Henderson State University offers a limited number of scholarships to international students who have been admitted to the university and have received an F-1 visa to attend Henderson. The Global Diversity Scholarships are awarded at $2000.00 per academic year and the International Leadership Scholarships are awarded at $1000.00 per academic year. You can access the International Student Scholarship Application in the admissions section of our website.

Why must I submit my official TOEFL results?

The official results of the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) are required from all students from countries where English is not an official language. Henderson State University requires a minimum level of English proficiency to ensure students are prepared to enter the undergraduate or graduate programs of study. Undergraduate applicants must achieve a minimum score on the TOEFL of 500 paper based, 173 computer based, or 61 Internet. Graduate applicants must have a minimum score of 550 paper based, or 213 computer based, or 80 Internet based.

What if my TOEFL score is below the minimum required score?

If your score on the TOEFL exam is less than the minimum required for admittance as a regular university student, then you will be admitted as a student in the English as a Second Language Program through the Center for Language Proficiency. You will not be admitted in a degree-seeking program of study until you have met the minimum required score on the TOEFL exam.

Why must I submit official results of the SAT or ACT exam?

Scores from the SAT or ACT exam are used to assess at what level students must enter into courses in English, Math, and Reading. Students who do not achieve the required minimum scores on the SAT or ACT will be required to complete remedial courses in these areas before moving on to take required level courses. Students must have their SAT or ACT official results submitted to Henderson before they are enrolled. Copies of results are not acceptable.  

How do I receive academic credit for university courses I have completed in my home country?

Henderson does not award academic credit for work completed at a university that is outside the United States unless the student’s official academic records from that university are evaluated by World Education Services.

Henderson will not give any credit towards a student’s credit hours at Henderson unless we receive an evaluation from WES that verifies that credit can be given. Once a WES evaluation is received, Henderson State University will make a decision concerning the awarding of any academic credit previously completed. The decision made by the Registrar’s Office at Henderson is final. The cost and responsibility for having a student’s diplomas and course records evaluated by WES is solely the student‘s and not that of Henderson State University.

What health records must I bring to Henderson?

If possible, please bring all documentation of immunizations done in your country of origin (BCG, Measles, Rubella, Varicella, Yellow Fever, Tetanus, and Mumps) with you. The following immunizations are required by Arkansas Law:

  • MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella)
  • 2 doses Measles, 1 Dose Rubella AND 1 dose Mumps

Any international student who cannot demonstrate through official records that he or she has had these immunizations will be required to be immunized after arriving at Henderson.

Will I have to be tested for Tuberculosis?

Any student born in a country where Tuberculosis is endemic, who is not a permanent resident, and receives instruction in a room in which other students are present, will be required by Arkansas Law to comply with Tuberculosis skin testing at enrollment. TB is not endemic in the countries listed below and students from these countries will not be required to have TB skin testing done by HSU Student Health: American Region: Canada, Jamaica, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, USA, Virgin Islands (USA); European Region: Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, San Marino, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom; Western Pacific Region:, American Samoa, Australia, New Zealand.

Why am I required to have health insurance coverage while studying at Henderson?

All international students attending Henderson State University must have health insurance. Henderson provides student health insurance through the LewerMark Student Insurance Company. The rate is $85 per month. Students are charged the full amount of each semester they attend. For the fall semester, students are charged $425 for the months of August 1 through December 31. International students who attend the spring semester are charged $595 for the months of January 1 through July 31. The International Office enrolls each student in this program and the Business Office at Henderson charges the students’ account for this coverage.

What do I do if I become ill?

If you have a minor illness it is best to visit the Student Health Center first to see if the staff can assist you. If you need to see a doctor, the staff at the Student Health Center can recommend you to one. The Student Health Center is located in Mooney Hall. Their office hours are from 8:00-5:00 Monday-Friday. If you have a medical emergency when the Student Health Center is not open, call 911.

How do I maintain my status as an F-1 student?

In order to stay in status as an international student, you must obey certain required regulations pertaining to your F-1 visa. You are responsible for knowing these regulations and for complying with them. Please consult the F-1 Regulations section of our website for more information.

How do I travel around Arkadelphia?

Many shops, banks, and other Arkadelphia businesses are within walking distance of Henderson’s campus. Transportation is also available within Arkadelphia through the South Central Arkansas Transit Program (SCAT). SCAT can also provide transportation outside of Arkadelphia. To ride a SCAT vehicle, you must call SCAT at 246-8747. There is a charge for this service. The International Office does not provide transportation for students.

How do I transfer to another U.S. university?

While we want every international student to continue his or her education at Henderson, we understand that certain circumstances lead to an international student wishing to transfer to another university in the United States. Students who desire to transfer must first contact the international office at the institution to which they want to transfer to inquire about the requirements for admission for international transfer students.

Once a student’s application has been accepted by the other university, the student should then send that university’s transfer form to the International Office at Henderson. Once the student fully completes his or her last semester at Henderson, the International Office will complete the student’s transfer form and send it to the university to which the student is transferring. If the student is accepted by the other university, a copy of the letter of admission from the other university must be sent to the International Office at Henderson before a student’s SEVIS file can be transferred.

How do I get a copy of my academic transcript from Henderson?

If you need a copy of your academic transcript from Henderson or if you need an official copy sent somewhere, you will need to contact the Registrar’s Office at Henderson. The International Office does not keep academic records and cannot issue academic transcripts of courses completed at Henderson. To contact the Registrar’s Office about your Henderson academic transcript consult their website.