The Center For Language Proficiency
The Center for Language Proficiency helps students succeed in an academic setting as well as in American culture by teaching English as a Second Language classes. Whether students are interested in passing the TOEFL or developing stronger English skills, the Center will help them listen more accurately and speak more fluently. They will write more clearly and correctly while improving their reading comprehension. Read more about registration and classes and the ESL program cost at the Center by clicking the appropriate link.
The Center also hosts the English as a Second Language Academy (ESL Academy) which is a thirteen day program held each summer for Arkansas teachers to learn techniques for working with ESL students. Students earn college credit and once completing all requirements an ESL Endorsement is placed on their teaching licensure.
- Prepare students to enter US College and Universities by preparing them for the TOEFL test.
- Assists non-students to stregthen English skills.
- Help ESL students to develop the five major skill areas of listening, speaking, reading, writing, and culture.
- Provide students with a quality language instruction combined with an exciting American cultural experience.
- The Center provides a 24 hour per week ESL program which meets Monday through Thursday in the Fall and Spring semesters. Semesters are typically 13 weeks.
- The national ESL goals and standards are incorporated into the curriculum along with TOEFL preparation elements.
- The Center also uses the English Language Learning and Instruction System (ELLS) software in our computer lab.
- In small classroom settings students enjoy personal attention and opportunities to practice English skills.
- Students will take monthly fieldtrips and celebrate American holidays.
Click here for more information on:
Registration and Class Information
HSU's ESL Academy
Center for Language Proficiency
1049 Henderson St.
HSU Box 7644
Arkadelphia, AR 71999
phone: (870)230-5546 fax: (870)230-5477