2010 Minutes

January 13

Henderson State University Assessment Team 
Meeting Minutes 
Dawson Room, 4:00 p.m. 
January 13, 2010

Present: Jeff Bailey, Lecia Franklin, Bernie Hellums, Margaret Hoskins, Matthew Kirkpatrick, Pam Ligon Vernon Miles, Phillip Schroeder, Brett Serviss, Karen Spradlin, Wrenette Tedder, and Bob Yehl 

Absent: David Thigpen, Ginger Otwell 

Next Meeting: January 27, 2010 

Announcements
Wrenette Tedder will provide a status report on the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) accreditation selfstudy 
process at the January 27 meeting. 

Chairman Schroeder remarked that during the December meeting the Team members present 
brainstormed about long-term goals and how to adapt our assessment process to fit with the existing 
campus structure. 

Old New Business 
February Newsletter articles are due by January 18. Vernon Miles, Phillip Schroeder, Kathy Strause, 
Wrenette Tedder and Bob Yehl have agreed to submit articles. Jeff Bailey and Matthew Kirkpatrick were 
asked to consider submitting an article on the student’s prospective of assessment. Jeff asked if we 
might consider creating a shorter version of the newsletter for the Oracle to include in one of their issues. 

Dr. Miles provided a Campus Climate Survey update. Approximately 1,000 comments were made. 
Although there is a clear need for improvement in several areas the comments were more positive than 
negative. The results will be shared with the campus community shortly. All areas of concern will be 
taken seriously. 

Dr. Miles informed the Team that a group of Henderson employees will be traveling to Chicago in April for 
the Higher Learning Commission Annual Meeting. 

Chairman Schroeder remarked that he and Wrenette wanted to revisit one of the goals set fall 2008 – 
increasing better communication with the campus community. Brett suggested Wrenette schedule time 
during departmental meetings to discuss assessment. 

Wrenette challenged the Team to go to the assessment web site and offer suggestions for improvement. 

Dr. Miles will suggest to the president, and he himself will begin, to include assessment information when 
speaking to campus groups on various other issues. 

Wrenette reiterated the importance of Team members attending departmental assessment meetings and 
workshops. 

New Business 
Phillip raised the question whether to add additional Team members. Margaret remarked that the Ellis 
College is underrepresented. It was also mentioned that the general studies program is not represented. 
It was discussed that possibly each department have their own assessment team within the 
college/department. A college/departmental representative would then report back to the Assessment 
Team. 

Phillip will send out an email soliciting names from Ellis College for additional Team members. 

During the December meeting the Team discussed whether to continue reviewing all of the assessment 
plans. Phillips suggested that we continue to review all plans. The HLC will evaluate the Team. There is 
a need to stay fully engaged as a Team in the evaluation process. 

Goals for the semester and summer include: 
(1) Communication 
(2) Record and Document the Team’s involvement 
(3) Evaluation of Unit Assessment Plans 
(4) Solicit New Members 

Wrenette mentioned that two SAU Tech employees had met with her to learn about TracDat and our 
assessment process. 

Next meeting scheduled for January 27. 

The meeting was adjourned at 5:10 .pm. 

Respectfully submitted, 

Pam Ligon, acting secretary

January 27

Henderson State University Assessment Team 
January 27, 2010

Present: Ginger Otwell, Phillip Schroeder, Lecia Franklin, Margaret Hoskins, Bob Yehl, David Thigpen, Bernie Hellums, Matthew Kirkpatrick, Brett Serviss, Karen Spradlin, Debra Coventry, Jeff Bailey, and Wrenette Tedder 

Absent: Pam Ligon 

Guest: Vernon Miles 

Next Meeting: February 10, 2010 

Announcements 
Debra Coventry has joined the Team. 

Dr. Miles addressed the Campus Climate Survey. 136 full-time faculty, 12 adjuncts, 68 classified staff, 46 non-classified staff, 18 administrators, and 274 students. Of the students 42 freshmen, 28 sophomores, 61 juniors, 62 seniors, and 77 graduate students. Approximately 1000 comments were made. Wrenette Tedder, Jennifer Holbrook, Angela Boswell, and Dr. Miles looked over the comments to edit out highly inflammatory, slanderous comments about individuals or departments. Not one of the comments being edited out involves the president or provost. Comments are groups by subject matter. Dr. Miles hopes to have the survey results out to everyone by next week. 

Discussion 
The NSSE survey is being sent out to freshmen and seniors within the next couple of weeks. The initial letter was sent today from Dr. Welch to the students being surveyed asking them to complete the survey. Ms. Tedder will send an e-mail out by tomorrow to these same students. The questions they are asked will be about student engagement and satisfaction of students with Henderson. We currently compare our results to COPLAC schools and to schools similar to ourselves. Two prizes will be given out: IPOD Touch and Playstation 3. Updates will be given periodically to the Team regarding the response rate. Henderson can use some of the questions in the NSSE survey in the Higher Learning Commission documentation. You can see the results of previous NSSE surveys at www.hsu.edu/NSSE

Dr. Miles asked if Henderson ever had the students complete a satisfaction survey in the past. Wrenette Tedder stated Henderson has done some surveying; however, we would like to do more of this type of surveying. Dr. Miles asked Ms. Tedder to look into the cost for these futures. 

Phillip Schroeder reiterated the four goals of the Assessment Team: 
     1. Engage ourselves in assessment process 
     2. Solicit additional members to help with the process to increase the visibility of the assessment team 
     3. Communication 
     4. Documentation of the Team in order to fulfill the expectations of the Higher Learning Commission 

Phillip Schroeder asked about workshops. Ms. Tedder stated that she did workshops in the fall semester; however, more workshops need to be held on the major components of the cycles. Not many people have attended the workshops. Ms. Tedder met with 7 departments and Dr. Schroeder met with 4 departments. Compliance rate has increase significantly from last year to this year. 

Ms. Tedder stated that she has completed the assessment evaluation sheets for each academic assessment plan. The plans are with Dr. Miles to be reviewed so that we don’t go back to the departments with nitpicky items. I’m hoping to meet with the whole departments to go over the plans once I get them back from Dr. Miles. Dr. Miles stated that most of them are good. Most departments just want to be told what to do. Ms. Tedder stated that if the Team could sit down with the department, go over their plan and make suggestions on how to state things in a different way, they could improve their plans. 

Wrenette Tedder stated that a lot of the departments use grades or indirect surveys in their plan methods. The HLC won’t look at are indirect surveys and grades; therefore, the departments need to have another method if they use one of these. Margaret Hoskins stated that most faculty just want to be told what to do and how to do it. 

Wrenette Tedder stated that if she can get out to the departments and help them improve their plans then this will help with the Team’s communication efforts. 

Phillip Schroeder stated that if we can change the cultural perspective of the assessment issue we can accomplish our efforts. The long-term goal of the assessment team is after we are successful with HLC accreditation the Team will shift some of the responsibilities back to the colleges. 

Phillip Schroeder asked the faculty members to take an hour or two to help Ms. Tedder when she attends the faculty meetings. He stated that faculty seemed to respond better when a faculty member is in attendance. Dr. Miles stated that possibly one member from each assessment plan group attend the workshops so that if there is a question from a specific department the member who assessed the plan can answer the question. 

Ms. Tedder stated that she was asked by Bobby Jones if she ever sent the assessment results out to the Vice Presidents and Deans. She stated that she did send out the results one year and was told that it was a waste of paper and that if someone wanted to look at the results they could go on-line and read the results themselves. 

Phillip Schroeder suggested that we offer recognition of departments with successful assessment plans. Wrenette Tedder stated that we are at the point where we have a few academic and non-academic departments who could be recognized. Dr. Miles asked if annual prizes could be given. Wrenette Tedder stated that she had asked in the past for money to buy prizes and it was shot down. A luncheon for those being recognized was suggested. Dr. Miles said this may be possible. 

Brett Serviss reiterated that the Team must make sure we let departments know that we see the efforts they are making to assess. This will go a long way in our communication efforts. 

Wrenette Tedder stated that the assessment plans will need to be published on-line to meet HLC requirements. This may not go over well with some of the departments; however, Henderson does not have a choice in this requirement. The results and the changes will also have to be published on each plan. 

Phillip Schroeder asked that a couple of people be responsible for gathering the minutes, agendas, etc. in preparation for the upcoming HLC accreditation visit. These people will be relieved of some other duties on the Team. He suggested that one of these people either be Ginger Otwell or Pam Ligon. 

Wrenette Tedded stated that a timeline of what the Team has done each year must also be developed. This timeline will show the efforts of the Team in promoting assessment among employees and students. We have the timeline prior to the HLC focus visit; however, it hasn’t be updated since the visit. The Team handouts must also be collected for the visit. We need to collect ample evidence showing we are promoting the assessment culture. 

The meeting was adjourned at 5:10 p.m. 

February 10

Henderson State University Assessment Team 
Meeting Minutes 
February 10, 2010 

Present: Ginger Otwell, Phillip Schroeder, Lecia Franklin, Margaret Hoskins, Bob Yehl, David Thigpen, Bernie Hellums, Matthew Kirkpatrick, Pam Ligon, Brett Serviss, Karen Spradlin, and Debra Coventry 

Absent: Jeff Bailey, Wrenette Tedder 

Guest: Miea McBride 

Next Meeting: February 24, 2010 

Announcements 

There were no announcements. 

Discussion 
Phillip Schroeder asked team members for ideas on how to increase communication on Henderson’s campus. Suggestions include: 
     1. Posting a key word from the mission statement on signs around campus 
     2. Having the Team attend an SGA meeting to answer questions on assessment 
     3. Doing an article in the oracle on assessment 
     4. Offer visits to departments during their faculty meetings to discuss the need for assessment and how they can help 
     5. Shifting the current assessment cycle to the fiscal year. This will help departments try to meet budgetary issues. 

The Team discussed when the department assessment information will be available on-line for everyone to see. Members wanted to know if the information would be available to on Henderson employees or would it be available to anyone who wanted to see it. It was stated that the Higher Learning Commission expects all assessment plans to be available on-line. 

Phillip Schroeder stated that Dr. Miles asked Wrenette Tedder and himself to attend a faculty senate meeting to answer questions about assessment. 

The Team stated that Wrenette Tedder needed to talk to each chair to get invited to the faculty meetings. 

Phillip Schroeder stated that the Team will need to begin preparing a detailed document providing the history of the assessment team. This would include all minutes, agendas, etc. Dr. Schroeder wants to designated 1-2 people to help Wrenette Tedder with this project. Discussion was held on who could possibly be assigned this project and the need for a couple of new members to the Team. Further discussion was deferred to the next meeting. 

Phillip Schroeder asked guest, Miea McBride, what she feels the Team needs to do to promote assessment among students. Ms. McBride stated that prospective students need to know the expectations and need to see the benefits. It was also stated that Henderson needs to assure students that we aren’t necessarily assessing the students but assessing whether what we are doing to improve it. 

The meeting was adjourned at 4:58 p.m.

February 24

Henderson State University Assessment Team 
Meeting Minutes 
Dawson Room, 4:00 p.m. 
February 24, 2010

 

Present: Lecia Franklin, Bernie Hellums, Margaret Hoskins, Matthew Kirkpatrick, Pam Ligon, Ginger Otwell, Phillip Schroeder, Brett Serviss, Joyce Shepherd, Karen Spradlin, Wrenette Tedder, and Bob Yehl 

Absent: Jeff Bailey, David Thigpen 

Next Meeting: March 10, 2010 

Announcements 
New member. Dr. Joyce Shepherd, Associate Professor of Human Services, has joined the Assessment Team. 

Newsletter. A paper copy of Assessment Brief, the assessment newsletter, has been mailed. The electronic version will be sent later this week. 

Articles for the next Assessment Brief is needed. Each newsletter will include a piece from the chair. September 1 is the next newsletter deadline. Contacting departments/individuals at this early date would allow sufficient time for articles to be submitted. Several approaches were suggested on how to gather additional topics for future newsletters. They included Wrenette looking through the assessment plans and selecting an area and having someone from that department submit an article on their process and accomplishments. Also, the Team might provide questions for selected areas to respond to and ask the vice presidents to write an article about their areas. Wrenette was asked to include “closing the loop” examples. 

Wrenette provided an update on NSSE (National Survey of Student Engagement). HSU elects to administer this survey every other year as do many of the COPLAC (Council of Public Liberal Arts Colleges) schools. The survey was administered in 2004, 2006, and 2008, 2010. During the fall semester 1,415 names were submitted to take part in the NSSE; however, at the beginning of the spring semester 300 names were removed because they did not return to Henderson. There are 1,115 students eligible to participate in this survey. Students will be emailed four times over the course of the semester. Approximately 850 have not responded. And, around 70 emails have bounced back. The response rate, thus far, has been18.83 percent. The national average response rate is 30-40%. Students will have the entire semester to respond to the survey, so the response rate should improve. Results of the current NSSE survey will be sent back to Henderson in late fall. 

Training session for new members. As requested by the Team, a training session for all members is scheduled to take place during the March 10 meeting. Wrenette mentioned she usually provides this training for new members in the fall. The session will cover the process of evaluating plans, closing the loop, and an explanation of the assessment terminology. 

AAACL annual conference. Wrenette mentioned that the AAACL (Arkansas Association for the Assessment of Collegiate Learning) will host its annual conference on Thursday, March 18, from 10 a.m. – 3:45 p.m. on the campus of UALR. The registration fee is $20 for institutional members (list of 2009-10 Institutional Members available at www.aaacl.org) and $40 for non-members. This modest registration fee includes all general and concurrent sessions plus a continental breakfast and lunch. Featured speakers are Dr. Doug Eder, Southern Illinois University – Edwardsville, and Dr. Jim Purcell, Arkansas Department of Higher Education. Wrenette has asked Dr. Miles for permission to invite the Team members to the conference. 

Old Business
Communication projects: Continuing the conversation of how to increase campus awareness of assessment, Phillip and Wrenette will meet with Dr. Miles suggesting that all new employees go through an assessment orientation session. Team members were also encouraged to accompany Wrenette when she meets with the Faculty and Staff Senate and SGA (Student Government Association). Include a staff and student representation to Faculty Senate, student and faculty representative to Staff Senate, and faculty and staff representative to SGA. Jeff Bailey is president of SGA and a Team member. 

Assessment Cycle: Assessment Plans to go online beginning Fall 2010. All assessment plans will soon be found on the Office of Assessment’s web page. One will locate these plans by navigating from the “Henderson Employee” button to the “assessment” link. It was suggested to include an article in the September newsletter to remind all departments that their plans will be published on the web for all to see. 

New Business
None 

The meeting was adjourned at 4:48 p.m. 

Respectfully submitted, 

Pam Ligon, secretary

March 10

Henderson State University Assessment Team 
Meeting Minutes 
Garrison L217, 4:00 p.m. 
March 10, 2010

Present: Jeff Bailey, Lecia Franklin, Deborah Coventry, Bernie Hellums, Margaret Hoskins, Matthew Kirkpatrick, Pam Ligon, Vernon Miles, Ginger Otwell, Phillip Schroeder, Brett Serviss, Joyce Shepherd, Wrenette Tedder, David Thigpen, and Bob Yehl 

Absent: Bernie Hellums and Karen Spradlin 

Next Meeting: March 31, 2010 

Today’s Assessment Team meeting consisted of membership training. Wrenette provided an assessment orientation for both the new and current members. Her presentation covered the process of evaluating plans, closing the loop, and an explanation of the assessment terminology, as 
well as the history of assessment at Henderson. 

The Team was established to provide leadership and assistance in developing and overseeing an institutional effectiveness program. This program provides continuous self-evaluation and improvement across all academic and nonacademic units at Henderson. The team’s primary 
function is to serve in an advisory capacity to academic and nonacademic departments. The team is comprised of representatives from academic and administrative areas. Representatives are nominated by their college dean or vice president. The following areas are 
represented: School of Business, Ellis College of Arts and Sciences, Teachers College, Academic Affairs, University and Community Relations, Finance and Administration, President’s Office, a SGA representative, and a graduate student. The director of assessment and the institutional research associate serve as ex-officios. 

The meeting was adjourned abruptly around 4:30 p.m. due to tornado warnings. 

Pam Ligon, secretary

March 31

Henderson State University Assessment Team 
Meeting Minutes 
March 31, 2010

Present: Wrenette Tedder, Ginger Otwell, Phillip Schroeder, Lecia Franklin, Margaret Hoskins, Bob Yehl, Matthew Kirkpatrick, Brett Serviss, Karen Spradlin, and Debra Coventry 

Absent: David Thigpen, Bernie Hellums, Pam Ligon, Jeff Bailey 

Guest: Vernon Miles 

Next Meeting: April 28, 2010, 4:00 p.m., Dawson Room 

Announcements 
Wrenette Tedder handed out a list of upcoming meeting dates. She stated that the May 5th date is a tentative date at this time. All upcoming meetings will be held in the Dawson Room at 4:00 p.m. 

Discussion 
Wrenette Tedder gave the team members a printout listing all assessment units and noted the departments have been met with and/or scheduled their meeting. Wrenette, various team members and Dr. Miles have met with 6 academic departments to discuss their current assessment plans. She has 4 academic departments scheduled to meet with after today. This leaves 13 academic departments to schedule meeting with. Dr. Miles asked Wrenette to e-mail the remaining 13 departments and cc him so that he could send out a follow-up e-mail to these departments. 

Wrenette Tedder stated that she and several team members have met with 8 non-academic departments and currently have 2 more departments schedule to meet. She stated that she will concentrate on the remaining 23 non-academic departments during the summer. 

Wrenette Tedder also handed out a list of upcoming scheduled department meetings and asked for volunteers to attend these meeting with her. 

Various members stated that they felt well received at the department meetings they have attended. The departments seemed to be complimentary of the time and effort the university assessment team. There seemed to be a changed in attitudes toward assessment after meeting with the departments. The departments feel that they have a better understanding of what is being asked of them. They also now realize that they already do most of the assessment. By meeting with the whole department instead of just the assessment coordinator for the program it has become more of a department effort. 

Wrenette Tedder stated that she has informed each department she has met with that the major changes will not be required until the fall semester. Minor changes will need to be made now. 

Discussion was held regarding changing the dates in the assessment cycle. The idea behind the change is to get the cycle more in line with the budget process. Departments want to be able to use their data to ask for items in the budget. After a lot of discussion it was decided to leave the assessment cycle as it is at this time. 

The meeting was adjourned at 4:52 p.m. 

April 28

Henderson State University Assessment Team 
Meeting Minutes 
April 28, 2010

Present: Wrenette Tedder, Ginger Otwell, Phillip Schroeder, Lecia Franklin, Margaret Hoskins, Bob Yehl, Jeff Bailey, Brett Serviss, Karen Spradlin, David Thigpen, and Debra Coventry 

Absent: Pam Ligon, Matthew Kirkpatrick, Bernie Hellums, Joyce Shepherd 

Guest: Vernon Miles 

Next Meeting: TBA 

Announcements 

A list of the 2010-2011 meeting dates will be sent out to all team members prior to the beginning of the fall semesters. The information will also include the meeting room. 

Discussion 
Discussion was held regarding recognizing departments for their success in the assessment process. Options were discussed on whom to choose one academic and one non-academic department each year to recognize. 
     1. Wrenette Tedder passed out a possible template that was developed in 2005. This template is geared toward an application process where the departments complete the application and the team will evaluate the applications to select the department to recognize each year. 
     2. The Team could pick 3 academic and 3 non-academic plans they feel are successful and then choose from these plans.
     3. The Deans could nominate plans and the Team would choose one department from the nominations. 
     4.  The combination of 1 and 2 in case there are not enough applications completed. 

After much discussion it was decided that Wrenette Tedder and Phillip Schroeder will pick 3-4 academic and 3-4 non-academic plans. The Team will look over the plans and choose the academic and non-academic department to recognize this year. The new process will be developed and set up during the fall semester. 

Discussion was also held regarding how to recognize departments for their success. It was decided to recognize the academic department that is chosen during the faculty workshop in August. The recognized department will then be given a plaque and a luncheon for members of that department. At this time, the non-academic recognition will be planned for the spring staff awards. 

There was also discussion on goals for 2010-2011. The following were mentioned: 
     1. Team member need to attend the AAACL meeting in the fall. The meeting will be set in May by the AAACL board. Once the date it set Wrenette Tedder will forward the information to each team member. 
     2. All departments must have their plans at an acceptable level. The Team will pick 2-3 departments who are lagging and concentrate on helping them. 
     3. The Team needs to continue their focus on communication throughout the year. SGA meetings, Staff Senate meetings, etc need to be included in the communication process. 

The last item for discussion was the date the plans would 2010-2011 plans would be in TracDat ready for review. Wrenette Tedder stated that the plans must be in place by September 13th. If they are not in the system by the 13th Ms. Tedder will immediately contact the department to find out why they are not in the system. On September 14th Ms. Tedder will begin downloading the plans to send them out to the Team to review. Each team member will review the same plans they did the previous year. Books will be collated for each team member. 

Dr. Miles thanked all of the team members for the dedication throughout the year to the Assessment Team. 

The meeting was adjourned at 5:07 p.m.

August 16

Henderson State University Assessment Team 
Meeting Minutes 
Dawson Room, 4:00 p.m. 
August 16, 2010

Present: Deborah Coventry, Lecia Franklin, Bernie Hellums, Margaret Hoskins, Pam Ligon, Vernon Miles, Phillip Schroeder, Brett Serviss, Joyce Shepherd, Karen Spradlin, Wrenette Tedder, David Thigpen, and Bob Yehl 

Absent: Jeff Bailey, Vernon Miles, Ginger Otwell, Joyce Shepherd, David Thigpen 

Next Meeting: August 30, 2010 

ANNOUNCEMENTS
Chairman Schroeder called the meeting to order and welcomed everyone to the first meeting of the new fiscal year. 

Report on the evaluations of unit assessment plans: Wrenette complimented the Team’s review of the academic and nonacademic assessment plans. She said the comments were right on track. Wrenette suggested that the nonacademic areas be allowed an extension to their September deadline for entering their new plans. She has not had time to provide feedback on their 2009-10 plans. 

Margaret Hoskins remarked that the web site Wrenette set up for the Team’s use during review of the assessment plans was a very helpful tool. She further remarked that she is seeing new hires coming in with assessment awareness. 

Phillip stated that many aspects of Wrenette’s training sessions with the academic areas this past year were most helpful. 

Wrenette commented that General Education does not have an assessment plan. General Studies and Business Technology Education are two academic areas which do not have an assessment plan in place. 

Newsletter: The content of the next newsletter was discussed. Lecia Franklin, Matthew Kirkpatrick, Vernon Miles, Wrenette Tedder and Phillips Schroeder are to submit articles. 

Matthew Kirkpatrick, a graduate student member, recently graduated. He will need to be replaced. Wrenette volunteered to speak with Marck Beggs and Carl Stark for suggested names. 

Phillip suggested assigning a department chair with writing an article on their plan. He asked that the Team send him suggestions. 

OLD BUSINESS 
Phillip recommended postponing the academic and nonacademic unit recognition event until Dr. Miles could attend the meeting to discuss the selection process. A rubric will need to be developed for the selection process. 

Goals and planning for 2010-2011: Chairman Schroeder asked the Team the goals they wanted to focus on this year. It was suggested one focus be to encourage the departments to collect and analyze their data. The majority of the areas have accomplished setting their goals and entering their measures. Many did not have the results of their findings included when they “closed the loop.” 

Collecting data for the Higher Learning Commission: Pam Ligon and Ginger Otwell will gather the Minutes from previous meetings and forward them to Brett Serviss who volunteered to assist with updating the Assessment web site. 

Target units in need of assistance: The Team unanimously volunteered to offer their assistance to any area needing direction. Wrenette is to prepare a rating sheet to help the Team determine those areas in the greatest need of assistance. Another goal is to provide Dr. Miles with a list of those areas not complying with Assessment deadlines for entering plans and data. 

Assessment Team plan of action and assignments: During the Team’s review process there was some inconsistencies with the interpretation of what “closing the loop” actually meant. Wrenette suggested it might be time for the group to review the dropdown boxes in Trac Dat to determine if the terminology should be changed. Brett recommended adding the definition of assessment words on the web as well as some help tips. 

The meeting adjourned at 5:00 p.m. 

Respectfully submitted, 

Pam Ligon, secretary 

August 30

Henderson State University Assessment Team 
Meeting Minutes 
Dawson Room, 4:00 p.m. 
August 30, 2010

Present: Jeff Bailey, Lenette Bailey, Deborah Coventry, Lecia Franklin, Bernie Hellums, Margaret Hoskins, Pam Ligon, Vernon Miles, Ginger Otwell, Phillip Schroeder, Brett Serviss, Wrenette Tedder, and Bob Yehl 

Absent: Joyce Shepherd, Karen Spradlin 

Next Meeting: September 13, 2010 

ANNOUNCEMENTS 
Chairman Schroeder called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m. He welcomed Lenette Bailey who is replacing David Thigpen as a team member. 
Phillip commented that he did not find a replacement for former team member, Matthew Bailey. Wrenette Tedder informed the group that Carl Stark has found a graduate student replacement. 

OLD BUSINESS 
Recognizing unit success: Much discussion was given as to how to select the first outstanding academic and non-academic units for recognition in their assessment endeavors this year. 

A committee was formed to develop a rubric for selecting future units to recognize. Brett Serviss, Pam Ligon and Wrenette Tedder will serve on this committee. Brett will act as chair. The committee will have a rubric in place by the November 8 meeting for the entire team to review. 
The Team agreed that recognition will be an annual award. The academic unit will be identified during the Faculty Excellence Awards in the fall. The non-academic unit will be acknowledged in the spring during the Staff Awards. An announcement will be included in the September newsletter. Wrenette will look over the assessment plans and suggest outstanding units for the Team to consider. 

NEW BUSINESS 
Target units in need of assistance: The goal this year is to have completed assessment plans for all 84 units. No holes. The Team will focus their efforts on those units requiring the most assistance completing their plans. A more proactive approach in aiding those units will be necessary. The Team may continue providing assessment workshops opportunities to those areas. 

According to a rubric developed by the Assessment Office, a 1-4 rating was given to the assessment plans. Those rated a zero or one requires the most attention. Those rated a two are partially fulfilling and those receiving a three only have minor revisions. There are 4 academic units with a rating of 1 and 2 academic units receiving a zero rating. Three of the non-academic units received a rating of one. Eight academic and 13 non-academics units received a two rating. The primary focus will be targeted those units with a zero and one rating. 

The meeting adjourned at 5:03 p.m. 

Respectfully submitted, 

Pam Ligon, secretary

September 16

Henderson State University Assessment Team 
Meeting Minutes 
Dawson Room, 4:00 p.m. 
September 13, 2010

Present: Lenette Bailey, Deborah Coventry, Bernie Hellums, Margaret Hoskins, Pam Ligon, Vernon Miles, Ginger Otwell, Phillip Schroeder, Brett Serviss, Joyce Shepherd, Karen Spradlin, Wrenette Tedder, and Bob Yehl 


Absent: Jeff Bailey, Lecia Franklin 

Next Meeting: September 27, 2010 

ANNOUNCEMENTS 
Chair Phillip Schroeder called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m. 
Newsletter. The September newsletter is on target. 

OLD BUSINESS 
Assisting units with assessment challenges. The Team discussed strategies and the process to aid those 10-12 units in greatest need of assistance. The Higher Learning Commission (HLC) will visit campus February 12, 2012. The Team’s focus is to have all plans completed before their visit. One-on-one training sessions will be required of those units rated a zero or one. According to Wrenette, units should not solely focus on what is working but observe areas requiring improvement. She encouraged all units to aim higher. The Team will provide insight on looking at the right things. It was suggested when the workshops are conducted a “closing the loop” explanation should be incorporated so there is a clear direction to take. 

Wrenette will develop a training session timetable for those units with a zero to 1 rating. A flow chart will be provided for the Team indicating the sequence for assessment entries i.e., enter goals, next enter …. , etc. 

NEW BUSINESS 
Minutes from past team meetings. Wrenette distributed a list of the assessment team minutes from previous years. She asked that each member look through their records and provide any missing minutes. A hard copy of the minutes from each assessment meeting will be available for NCATE. 

Recognizing unit success: choose a non-academic unit. Five non-academic units were submitted electronically to the team. These include Athletics, Career Development, Library Resources, Physical Plant, and Public Relations. Using an electronic rubric, the Team is to rank these units by Wednesday, September 22. The units will be critiqued in the areas of the assessment plan, growth, observations, action and follow-up. Five out of a possible 42 plans were selected. The three selected academic units will be sent to the Team electronically following their revision deadline. Voting will be conducted the same as for the nonacademic units with the deadline of September 22. 

OTHER BUSINESS 
A new Student Services representative will be required to serve as an Assessment Team member with Pam Ligon moving to the academic side. Dr. Miles will visit with Dr. Stephens for her recommendation. 

The meeting adjourned at 5:03 p.m. 

Respectfully submitted, 

Pam Ligon, secretary

October 11

Henderson State University Assessment Team 
Meeting Minutes 
Dawson Room, 4:00 p.m. 
October 11, 2010 

 

Present: Deborah Coventry, Chad Fielding, Margaret Hoskins, Lenette Bailey Jones, Pam Ligon, Brett Serviss, Phillip Schroeder, Wrennete Tedder, Bernie Vellum, Bob Yehl 

Absent: Jeff Bailey, Lecia Franklin, Vernon Miles, Karen Spradlin, Hope Warner 

Next Meeting: October 25, 2010 

ANNOUNCEMENTS
Chair Phillip Schroeder called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m. 

Academic Unit Award and how the announcement is to be handled. The Team agreed to notify both the academic and nonacademic units they won the award by contacting them. At that time they will be informed a luncheon will be scheduled to honor them. Campus recognition will be made during the back-to-school faculty meeting for the academic unit. The nonacademic unit will be recognized at the staff luncheon in the spring. 

Training workshops. Wrenette informed the Team no one signed up for the scheduled training workshops. 

OLD BUSINESS 
Awards receptions (luncheon, plaque, et al) According to Dr. Miles, $500 has been set aside to recognize departments selected for their outstanding assessment efforts. Deborah Coventry, Lenette Jones and Chad Fielding were appointed to plan a recognition luncheon. Discussion followed as to who would be invited to the luncheon. The suggested timeframe for the luncheon is this semester, the week before Thanksgiving. 

NEW BUSINESS 
Vote on the 2 finalists for Non-Academic Unit. Wrenette distributed a list of the assessment team minutes from previous years. She asked that each member look through their records and provide any missing minutes. A hard copy of the minutes from each assessment meeting will be available for NCATE. 

The assessment award rubric (Brett Serviss) Two nonacademic units were voted on by secret ballot. Athletics was the nonacademic unit chosen for the outstanding assessment unit award. 

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 4:45 p.m. 

Respectfully submitted, 

Pam Ligon, secretary

October 25

Henderson State University Assessment Team 
Meeting Minutes 
October 25, 2010

Present: Wrenette Tedder, Ginger Otwell, Phillip Schroeder, Lecia Franklin, Margaret Hoskins, Bob Yehl, Brett Serviss, Karen Spradlin, Lenette Bailey-Jones, Debra Coventry, and Hope Warner 

Absent: Pam Ligon, Jeff Bailey, Bernie Hellums, Joyce Shepherd, Chad Fielding 

Guest: Vernon Miles 

Next Meeting: ????? 

Announcements 
Hope Warner, the Graduate Student representative, was introduced to the Team. It was also noted that Ms. Warner was not notified of the last meeting so she should not be shown as absent. 

Discussion 
The Assessment Awards Luncheon committee was asked for an update on the upcoming luncheon. The members contacted the Captain Henderson House as a possible place to hold the luncheon but were told that Henderson House could not do a sit down luncheon for more than 12 people. Since the luncheon will be for a minimum of 30 people, they were asked to contact Aramark and get a cost and list of places the luncheon could be held. The committee was also asked to get a final count of who is to be invited to the luncheon. 

Dr. Miles stated that he would write an official letter to the departments being awarded this year and then would send out a campus-wide e-mail letting everyone know about the award. He asked that the date and time for the luncheon be set before he writes the letters and e-mail. The committee is looking at the week before the Thanksgiving break. 

Wrenette Tedder gave an update on the units needing assistance from the members of the assessment Team. First, Ms. Tedder discussed the ranking system she has for the plans. 
     1. 0-1 – Either no plan is in place or the plan is incomplete 
     2. 2-3 – plan is missing the criteria 
     3. 3.5 – plan is almost perfect 

There are 7 units that fall in the 0-1 rank. These include: MLA, Honors College, Spanish, Human Services, Sociology, MAT, and English. Ms. Tedder informed the team that Human Services and Sociology will be combining their plans. She also informed the team that MLA and Honors College are resistant to the assessment process. 

There are 31 units that fall in the 2-3 rank and 6 that are in the 3.5 rank. Team members suggested that a way to motivate some of the units in the 2-3 rank would be to highlight the 6 units in the 3.5 rank on the website. 

The Team recommended that Ms. Tedder make specific appointments with the individuals responsible for the 7 units mentioned above to discuss their plans, or lack thereof. Team members also asked that Dr. Miles follow up with an e-mail to the 7 units emphasizing the need for their area to get on board with assessment. 

Ms. Tedder also asked the Team about releasing the Assessment plans and results to various Higher Learning Commission sub-committees on our campus. The Team voted that both the plans and results could be released to the sub-committees on campus but the results could not be released to outside parties at this time. 

Dr. Schroeder stated that the next Assessment newsletter is scheduled for a February 1 release date. He asked that Brett Serviss provide a short article on the assessment award rubric that will be used next year for the assessment awards. He also asked for a volunteer to get sound bites from this year’s award winners for an article. Pam Ligon volunteered to do this. Lenette Bailey-Jones was asked to do an article from the perspective of being new to the team. Several team members also asked that an article be done on the team members – bio of number of years served on the team, where they are located, and what units they represent. This will help departments understand who they can go to and ask questions. 

The meeting was adjourned at 4:37 p.m. 

November 8

Henderson State University Assessment Team 
Meeting Minutes 
Dawson Room, 4:00 p.m. 
November 8, 2010 

 
Present: Lenette Bailey, Debra Coventry, Margaret Hoskins, Pam Ligon, Vernon Miles, Ginger Otwell, Phillip Schroeder, Brett Serviss, Joyce Shepherd, Karen Spradlin, Wrenette Tedder, Lecia Franklin, Hope Warner Absent: Bernie Hellums, Jeff Bailey, Bob Yehl 

Next Meeting: November 22, 2010

ANNOUNCEMENTS
The meeting of the Henderson State University Assessment Team was called to order at 4:00 p.m., in the Dawson Room, November 8, 2010, by Chair Phillip Schroeder. Although the Assessment Team meetings are open for anyone to attend, Phillip suggested sending a special invitation to the faculty, staff, and the administration encouraging them to attend a biweekly meeting. The Team agreed. 

Assessment Awards Luncheon: The assessment awards luncheon initially scheduled for Tuesday, November 16, 2010, was rescheduled for November 30, in the Sun Room, at 12:30 p.m. The Team thanked the assessment awards luncheon committee Debra Coventry, Lenette Bailey-Jones, and Chad Fielding for their assistance. 

Meetings with Units in need: Wrenette contacted the seven units in need of assessment assistance asking for convenient meeting times before the December 1 deadline. To date, she has not received responses from all seven units. The Team will be notified through email of those dates and times the units select and encouraged to offer their expertise by attending one or more of the training sessions

OLD BUSINESS
Rubric for the Assessment Awards process. Brett Serviss chaired the committee to prepare a rubric to assist with the selection of both academic and nonacademic units for future assessment awards. Wrenette Tedder and Pam Ligon served on the committee as well. Brett distributed a draft of the rubric which is divided into four categories: unacceptable, insufficient, adequate, and exemplary. Each category is assigned a point value. Those units not doing anything will receive zero points and fall in the “unacceptable” category. The “insufficient” rating is a program in place but not complete. An “adequate” rating is for those units in place but have room for improvement. The “exemplary” rating is for those first-rate, outstanding programs. 

The rubric is broken into five areas for evaluation. 1. Mission and Development; 2. Outcomes/Objectives; 3. Observations, Actions, and Follow up; 4. Temporal Improvement; and 5. Overall Program (unit). Brett asked the Team to review the document and send any comments or suggestions to him so that it can be submitted for final approval at the November 22 meeting. A comments section will be added. Phillip stated that this rubric might be a good document to use as an assessment tool in our own areas. Vernon Miles further stated that this might also be a usable tool to evaluate assessment plans.


NEW BUSINESS 
Discussion and committee selection: Phillip assigned members of the Team to a variety of committees. The committees will conclude their work by the end of the spring term. 

The University Assessment Plan, which will eventually be submitted to the Board of Trustees, Phillip appointed the committee of Wrenette Tedder, Bernie Hellums, Lecia Franklin, Vernon Miles, Brett Serviss, Lenette Baily-Jones, and Karen Spradlin. He suggested at some point members of faculty and staff senate, deans, and graduate and legal counsel be brought in. Dr. Miles or Wrenette Tedder will serve as chair. 
Phillip Schroeder, Wrenette Tedder, Ginger Otwell, Margaret Hoskins, and Hope Warner will serve on the committee to provide updates and revisions to the Assessment Team Handbook. Either Wrenette or Phillip will serve as chair. 

To prepare a clear assessment plan for the Assessment Team, a committee consisting of Pam Ligon, BobYehl, Wrentte Tedder, Debra Coventry and Joyce Shepherd was formed. Pam and Wrenette will serve as co-chairs. 

A question was asked as to whether the preparation of the General Education assessment plan has fallen to the General Education Committee. It was confirmed this committee has been charged with this task. Wrenette stated she will volunteer to assist this committee on developing an assessment plan. 

Arkansas Association for Collegiate Learning (AACL). Wrenette informed the Team that on November 18, 2010, the Arkansas Association for Collegiate Learning’s fall workshop will be held on Harding University’s campus. Dr. Lynn Priddy will speak on “HLC: Expectations for Reaccreditation and Site Visits.” Each university is asked to send only two representatives. Since Wrenette serves as a member of this association, Henderson is permitted two additional representatives. The Team agreed that KenTaylor or Sharon Gardner and Phillip Schroeder attend this workshop. 

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 5:10 p.m. 

Respectfully submitted, 

Pam Ligon, secretary

November 22

Henderson State University Assessment Team 
Meeting Minutes 
November 22, 2010

Present: Wrenette Tedder, Ginger Otwell, Phillip Schroeder, Margaret Hoskins, Bob Yehl, Brett Serviss, Karen Spradlin, and Hope Warner 

Absent: Pam Ligon, Bernie Hellums, Joyce Shepherd, Lecia Franklin, Lenette Bailey-Jones, Chad Fielding, Debra Coventry 

Guest: Vernon Miles 

Next Meeting: December 6, 2010 at 4:00 p.m. in the Garrison Center Dawson Room 

Announcements 
Wrenette Tedder informed the Team that Jeff Bailey resigned. She stated that Mr. Bailey felt he could not commit to the team because of the time needed for his classes this semester. Ms. Tedder asked Chad Fielding to look into getting another freshman or sophomore representative for the Team. Phillip Schroeder asked team members to look around their area for a possible representative and give him the names. Ms. Tedder stated that the person will have to get approved by the SGA. 

Discussion 
Ms. Tedder gave an update on the meetings with the units discussed at the last meeting. She stated that she had met with the director of the MLA program and he would be developing a plan to put into the system. Sociology has asked to look at the Computer Science plan to get an idea of how to improve their current plan. No meeting has been set up to meet with them at this time. She has corresponded with the faculty member over the General Studies plan via e-mail. He is currently working on some of the student learning outcomes. Ms. Tedder stated that he had not heard from Honors College, English/Spanish or MAT at this time. 

Ms. Tedder gave a summary of the AAACL meeting she attended the previous week. The guest speaker was from the Higher Learning Commission and she gave the attendees basic information about what the accreditors would be looking for in the upcoming visit. The speaker stated that if 80% of the departments are on-board with assessment plans that the university should be okay. She also talked about the fact that several universities have become stalled where assessment is concerned. The said this is okay as long as the school could show that they were using assessment in learning. This can be done through a conversation. New assessment standards are set to be rolled out next year. The two major areas they will be looking at are general education and program level assessment. The team will look to make sure the university is focusing more on the end results and that progress is being shown. The HLC will begin looking at where the students go after college. This is an area that Henderson has limited information on. Some departments are doing a good job in getting this information; however, a majority of the departments currently have no way of obtaining this information. Dr. Miles stated that the Alumni Office is getting a software program that should be able to track this kind of information on our students. 

The committee members of the awards luncheon were not present; however, Dr. Schroeder stated that the luncheon would be held at 12:30 p.m. on Tuesday, November 30th, in the Sun Room. He encouraged everyone to attend the luncheon. 

Brett Serviss let everyone know that he had made the requested changes to the rubric to be used in the assessment award selection process. He feels the rubric is in good shape and ready to be published. Dr. Serviss thanked the other team members for their help with the rubric. A motion was made and seconded to accept the rubric. The motion was passed. 

The meeting was adjourned at 4:37 p.m. 

Back to top