2007 Minutes

January 30

Henderson State University Assessment Team 
Meeting Minutes 
January 30, 2007 

Present: Carl Stark, Wrenette Tedder, Ginger Otwell, Pam Ligon, Lecia Franklin, David Thigpen, Karen Spradlin, and Lea McDonald 

Absent: Bruce Smith, Haroon Khan, Jennifer Holbrook, Flora Weeks, Bob Yehl, Undergraduate Representative 

Next Meeting: February 12, 2007 at 3:00 p.m. 

Announcements 
The minutes from the previous meeting were read by the Team members. Pam Ligon made a motion to approve the minutes and Lecia Franklin seconded the motion. The minutes were approved. 

Meetings times for the Assessment Team have been set for every other Monday, beginning February 12, 2007, at 3:00 p.m. The location of the meeting will be sent to the Team members. 

Ms. Tedder asked the Team members how they would like to do this year’s assessment cycle review process. One option discussed was that each team member would get either 3-5 academic or 3-5 non-academic plans to look at this year. The team approved this idea and stated that with the smaller number of plans to look at that they would be able to provide more help to the plan coordinators. The plans would be rotated each year; however, they feel the plans that are weak need to be dealt with first. 

Ms. Ligon and Ms. Franklin asked about the results of the roundtable survey. They wanted to know how the roundtable was received so they could plan the next one. Ms. Tedder stated that she had the results and would distribute them. 

Lea McDonald was introduced to the Team members. Lea is the team’s representative for Graduate students. 

Discussion 
Dr. Stark, the Team Chairman, gave his chair report. He discussed that the Higher Learning Commission will be on campus on February 25, 2007 through February 27, 2007. The outcome of the 2001 HLC visit prompted the upcoming focus visit looking at student learning. A copy of the report that was sent to the Higher Learning Commission is available on-line for those who want to look at it. 

Dr. Stark submitted a list of 5 points that he feels the Higher Learning Commission will be looking at during their visit. The points are as follows: 
     1. Measureable student learning outcomes have been identified and made public for each academic program. The academic departments are using the Blooms Taxonomy to develop the learning objectives. 
     2. Individual courses in each program contribute to the achievement of the program learning outcomes. Most of the departments have mapped their courses to each of the objectives. 
     3. Each program extends the Liberal Arts core. There are several of the major programs that touch on the Liberal Arts core; however, not all of them do. 
     4. Structures are in place for ongoing budgetary support, implementation and administration of the assessment program. HSU has monetarily supported its assessment efforts by paying for items like workshops to be conducted and purchasing the TracDat software. 
     5. Baseline data has been systematically collected in each department using direct measure of student learning. Ms. Tedder stated that over 50% of the plans have closed the loop. There is no duplication right now because we are currently in the second year. Ms. Tedder is currently look at program review that different programs have had to submit through the years to show that we have historical assessment data. The assessment office is addressing the issue of those areas who have not done a plan yet. 

Dr. Stark and Ms. Tedder stated that the Higher Learning Commission team will possibly want to meet with students to discuss assessment. The route that Henderson is looking as is having a select number of students who have had some involvement with assessment meet with the HLC team to discuss assessment. Ms. Tedder will meet with the Deans to get some names of students for the team to meet with. There is a possibility that we may be able to have the faculty, staff and students meet as a group with the HLC team to discuss assessment instead of individual meetings. We need at least 12 students. 

The faculty and staff need to be reminded of the assessment efforts at Henderson during the coming weeks. A newsletter will be going out within the next week or so in an effort to help with this issue. Dr. Dunn will also send out an e-mail on the upcoming focus visit. A survey is also being developed to send out to faculty and staff to see how much everyone knows. 

A resource room needs to be set up for the upcoming visit. Dr. Dunn suggested using the conference room at the bed and breakfast. Dr. Marck Beggs and Ms. Tedder, who will be working together to set up the resource room, visited the bed & breakfast to look at the conference room. Since there is no lock on the door for that room, the issue of security has been raised. Two options have been made – 1) move the resource room to a more secure room such as the 2nd floor conference room in Womack or find a room in the Garrison Center; or, 2) have a lock installed on the bed and breakfast conference room door. Ms. Tedder is waiting on word as to which option to pursue. 

Dr. Stark asked for a volunteer to chair the faculty roundtable committee and a volunteer to be the liaison between the General Education Assessment Committee and the Assessment Team. Since no one volunteered, he assigned Bruce Smith as the chair of the faculty roundtable committee and Haroon Khan as the liaison. The liaison will work with Dr. Marilyn Sommer and the Committee to help develop an assessment plan for General Education. 

With the upcoming HLC visit, Ms. Tedder passed out a tentative schedule for the two days the HLC team will be on campus. She stated that team members need to be available to act as escorts for the team. When the final agenda is available she will e-mail it to team members so they can sign up for times to be escorts. 

The meeting was adjourned at 1:25 p.m. 


February 

Henderson State University Assessment Team 
Meeting Minutes 
February 2007 

Present: Carl Stark, Wrenette Tedder, Ginger Otwell, Pam Ligon, Lecia Franklin, David Thigpen, Karen Spradlin, and Lea McDonald 

Absent: Bruce Smith, Haroon Khan, Jennifer Holbrook, Flora Weeks, Bob Yehl, Undergraduate Representative 

Next Meeting: February 12, 2007 at 3:00 p.m. 

Announcements 
The minutes from the previous meeting were read by the Team members. Pam Ligon made a motion to approve the minutes and Lecia Franklin seconded the motion. The minutes were approved. 

Meetings times for the Assessment Team have been set for every other Monday, beginning February 12, 2007, at 3:00 p.m. The location of the meeting will be sent to the Team members. 

Ms. Tedder asked the Team members how they would like to do this year’s assessment cycle review process. One option discussed was that each team member would get either 3-5 academic or 3-5 non-academic plans to look at this year. The team approved this idea and stated that with the smaller number of plans to look at that they would be able to provide more help to the plan coordinators. The plans would be rotated each year; however, they feel the plans that are weak need to be dealt with first. 

Ms. Ligon and Ms. Franklin asked about the results of the roundtable survey. They wanted to know how the roundtable was received so they could plan the next one. Ms. Tedder stated that she had the results and would distribute them. 

Lea McDonald was introduced to the Team members. Lea is the team’s representative for Graduate students. 

Discussion 
Dr. Stark, the Team Chairman, gave his chair report. He discussed that the Higher Learning Commission will be on campus on February 25, 2007 through February 27, 2007. The outcome of the 2001 HLC visit prompted the upcoming focus visit looking at student learning. A copy of the report that was sent to the Higher Learning Commission is available on-line for those who want to look at it. 

Dr. Stark submitted a list of 5 points that he feels the Higher Learning Commission will be looking at during their visit. The points are as follows: 
     1. Measureable student learning outcomes have been identified and made public for each academic program. The academic departments are using the Blooms Taxonomy to develop the learning objectives. 
     2. Individual courses in each program contribute to the achievement of the program learning outcomes. Most of the departments have mapped their courses to each of the objectives. 
     3. Each program extends the Liberal Arts core. There are several of the major programs that touch on the Liberal Arts core; however, not all of them do. 
     4. Structures are in place for ongoing budgetary support, implementation and administration of the assessment program. HSU has monetarily supported its assessment efforts by paying for items like workshops to be conducted and purchasing the TracDat software. 
     5. Baseline data has been systematically collected in each department using direct measure of student learning. Ms. Tedder stated that over 50% of the plans have closed the loop. There is no duplication right now because we are currently in the second year. Ms. Tedder is currently look at program review that different programs have had to submit through the years to show that we have historical assessment data. The assessment office is addressing the issue of those areas who have not done a plan yet. 

Dr. Stark and Ms. Tedder stated that the Higher Learning Commission team will possibly want to meet with students to discuss assessment. The route that Henderson is looking as is having a select number of students who have had some involvement with assessment meet with the HLC team to discuss assessment. Ms. Tedder will meet with the Deans to get some names of students for the team to meet with. There is a possibility that we may be able to have the faculty, staff and students meet as a group with the HLC team to discuss assessment instead of individual meetings. We need at least 12 students.


The faculty and staff need to be reminded of the assessment efforts at Henderson during the coming weeks. A newsletter will be going out within the next week or so in an effort to help with this issue. Dr. Dunn will also send out an e-mail on the upcoming focus visit. A survey is also being developed to send out to faculty and staff to see how much everyone knows. 

A resource room needs to be set up for the upcoming visit. Dr. Dunn suggested using the conference room at the bed and breakfast. Dr. Marck Beggs and Ms. Tedder, who will be working together to set up the resource room, visited the bed and breakfast to look at the conference room. Since there is no lock on the door for that room, the issue of security has been raised. Two options have been made – 1) move the resource room to a more secure room such as the 2nd floor conference room in Womack or find a room in the Garrison Center; or, 2) have a lock installed on the bed and breakfast conference room door. Ms. Tedder is waiting on word as to which option to pursue.


 Dr. Stark asked for a volunteer to chair the faculty roundtable committee and a volunteer to be the liaison between the General Education Assessment Committee and the Assessment Team. Since no one volunteered, he assigned Bruce Smith as the chair of the faculty roundtable committee and Haroon Khan as the liaison. The liaison will work with Dr. Marilyn Sommer and the Committee to help develop an assessment plan for General Education. 

With the upcoming HLC visit, Ms. Tedder passed out a tentative schedule for the two days the HLC team will be on campus. She stated that team members need to be available to act as escorts for the team. When the final agenda is available she will e-mail it to team members so they can sign up for times to be escorts. 

The meeting was adjourned at 1:25 p.m. 

February 12

Henderson State University Assessment Team 
Meeting Minutes 
February 12, 2007

Present: Carl Stark, Wrenette Tedder, Ginger Otwell, , Karen Spradlin, and Flora Weeks 

Absent: Bruce Smith, Haroon Khan, Jennifer Holbrook, Bob Yehl, Pam Ligon, Lecia Franklin, David Thigpen, Lea McDonald, Undergraduate Representative 

Next Meeting: TBA 

Announcements 
The minutes from the previous meeting were read by the Team members. Pam Ligon made a motion to approve the minutes and Karen Spradlin seconded the motion. The minutes were approved. 

The Assessment Brief will be delivered to boxes on Wednesday. It will also be added to the Assessment website. If you have time, go check out the new Assessment web page. 

Discussion 
Carl Stark addressed the 5 points that the Higher Learning Commission Assessment team will be looking at when they arrive on campus. 

Wrenette Tedder’s initial thought was to go back and look at what departments completed program reviews in the past and ask for a copy to be put into the Assessment Resource Room. 

Wrenette Tedder stated she would get with Karen Spradlin and Sharon Gardner to obtain lists of who attended previous assessment workshops on campus. 

Ms. Tedder also asked Flora Weeks to review past board minutes to find out what was done during board meetings regarding assessment. 

Pam Ligon stated that all Directors under Student Services had to write their mission and goals during 2001. These were placed in a binder. She stated that she would look for the binders. 

Ms. Tedder stated that she would e-mail various people on campus to gather information on those who attended workshops dealing with Assessment from 2004 to present. She would also e-mail the deans to find out if they had department meetings on assessment during this time.
 
The Assessment Resource Room is being set up in the Bed and Breakfast. Marck Beggs and Wrenette Tedder are working on the room. 

The meeting was adjourned at 1:25 p.m. 

April 18

Henderson State University Assessment Team 
Meeting Minutes 
April 18, 2007

Present: Carl Stark, Wrenette Tedder, Karen Spradlin, Jennifer Holbrook, and Lecia Franklin 

Absent: Bruce Smith, Haroon Khan, Ginger Otwell, Pam Ligon, Bob Yehl, David Thigpen, Flora Weeks, Lea McDonald, Undergraduate Representative 

Next Meeting: TBA 

Announcements 
The minutes from the previous meeting, February 12, were read by the Team members. Lecia Franklin made a motion to approve the minutes with the following changes: Add Pam Ligon to the members present and Jennifer Holbrook seconded the motion. The minutes were approved as amended. See Handout A. 

Discussion 
Carl Stark addressed the Higher Learning Commission evaluation team’s draft report. A handout was given to each team member stating the evidence that demonstrates that further organizational attention is required in the area of focus. See Handout B. 

The team discussed developing long-range goals for the assessment team. It was decided that each team member would take part in this process. Each member will supply their goals two days before the next meeting. It was suggested the team should set some goals ten years out. 

Jennifer Holbrook recommended that the assessment team utilize Angel, which is replacing WebCT, in future meetings and discussions. It is becoming increasingly hard to get the group together and this resource might allow us to have virtual meetings where everyone can take part. Angel can also keep all email and discussions contained and allow all documents needed to be available at a click of a button. Jennifer is going to work with Kris Duncan in setting this up for the Assessment Team. Information will be forwarded to each member once the Angel classroom is set-up. 

Wrenette Tedder handed out examples of rubrics other universities use in evaluating assessment plans. She suggested that we needed a better way of communicating with each department on areas needing to be improved on their assessment plans. One of the suggestions is built using the Nichols Model and is available online at http://hsusurvey.hsu.edu/committeereview0607.htm. Tedder asked that each member test the review sheet before implementing the use in all evaluations of each plans. The summary will be uploaded to each departments TracDat account. Each team member is to use the online form to complete one review by Friday, April 20. Please forward pros and cons to Tedder so the necessary changes can be made to the review sheet. All assessment plans will need to be reviewed by May 2, 2007. See Handout C. 

Wrenette Tedder reminded the team of the upcoming deadlines to “Close the Loop.” She will send an email to those responsible for department’s assessment plans informing them of the upcoming deadlines. She will begin offering training on “Closing the Loop,” as well as other topics. 

Jennifer Holbrook asked how the meeting with the Faculty Senate Academic Committee went on March 28, 2007. Carl Stark and Wrenette Tedder felt the meeting was positive and provided a summary of the questions asked from the committee. 

Wrenette Tedder mentioned that five assessment team members attended the Arkansas Assessment Conference on the campus of Arkansas State University. She felt it was a huge success and that it will become an annual meeting. Tedder is currently serving on the steering committee for the development of this association. The next Arkansas Assessment Conference will be held at Arkansas Tech. 

The meeting was adjourned at 3:25 p.m. 

November 13

Henderson State University Assessment Team 
Meeting Minutes 
November 13, 2007

Present: Wrenette Tedder, Ginger Otwell, Ed Conrad, Pam Ligon, Karen Spradlin, Patricia Weaver, Bob Yehl, and Flora Weeks 

Absent: Terri Boone, Martin James, Lecia Franklin, Lauren Larey 

Next Meeting: December 11, 2007, meeting place to be announced. 

Announcements 
Minutes from the October 16th meeting were approved with no changes. 

The undergraduate representative has been selected for the Team. Lauren Larey will be the representative. 

Ms. Larey has a class at the time the Team currently meets. Ms. Tedder has asked the Team to look at their schedules and establish a new time/day for the next meeting in order to accommodate Ms. Larey’s request. Since there is only one more meeting time before Christmas break, the Team set the meeting for December 11th at 3:00 p.m., which is during exam week. The Team will set new meeting dates/times for the Spring semester once school starts. 

Ms. Tedder will provide the Team a copy of the HLC Focus team’s report that was sent after last year’s focus visit in order for the team to know where the weaknesses are in regards to assessment on campus. 

Discussion 
Pam Ligon, chair of the Non-Academic Handbook committee, gave her report on the progress the committee has made. Ms. Ligon gave the handbook committee members a copy of another school’s non-academic handbook to use to help design HSU’s handbook. The committee met and make the necessary changes/additions to HSU’s version of the handbook. There is one section left to look over and the committee hopes to meet after Thanksgiving to complete this section and put the handbook together. Ms. Ligon stated she would need to get with Ms. Tedder to get examples to place in the handbook. Once the committee meets again and she receives the information from Ms. Tedder, she will put the handbook together and present it to the Team for approval. Ms. Ligon said she will have the handbook ready for the next meeting. 

Ginger Otwell, Assessment Newsletter Coordinator, gave her report on the progress of the newsletter. Ms. Otwell stated she had not worked on the newsletter, due to lack of time to do so. Ms. Tedder asked the Team to forward anything they would like to see in the newsletter to Ms. Otwell as soon as possible for inclusion in the next newsletter. Ms. Tedder said she would gather NSSE information for the front page of the newsletter. 

Wrenette Tedder passed out the HLC criteria information to the Team to look over. This documentation was provided to give the Team an idea of what the higher learning commission will be looking for when they return for their 10 year visit in 3 years. 

Ms. Tedder asked if there was any other items that needed to be discussed. Ms. Ligon stated that the Team needed to make a schedule of the roundtables for the year. She also stated that if there are still departments that are not doing assessment they need to be identified. 

The meeting was adjourned at 3:42 p.m. 

Back to top