2006 Minutes

February 22

Henderson State University Assessment Team 
Meeting Minutes 
Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Present: Wrenette Tedder, Ginger Otwell, Bruce Smith, David Thigpen, Lecia Franklin, Pam Ligon, Bob Yehl, Katherine Woodall, Haroon Khan, and Jennifer Holbrook 

Absent: SGA Representative, Carl Stark 

Next Meeting: Wednesday, February 22, 2006, Dawson Room 

Announcements 
A faculty roundtable discussion was held on February 14th and 8 people attended. Wrenette Tedder, along with Carl Stark and Pam Ligon, represented the Assessment Team at the roundtable. Dr. Dunn, Dr. Houston and four faculty members attended. This will be a monthly event and we hope to increase the number of attendees at the next one. Wrenette has contacted Dr. Houston to get a date for the next faculty roundtable discussion, which will be 12:30 to 1:30 on a Tuesday or Thursday. 

The staff roundtable discussion will be held on March 16 from 12:00 to 1:00 in the Wilson Room. An e-mail will be sent out regarding the discussion. Some team members asked if the discussion could be held at another time during the day. 

The Assessment Newsletter is ready for distribution. Copies will be given to Lecia Franklin to be put in with the payroll checks for all classified employees. All other employees will receive a copy in their mailbox. Future newsletters will be published on-line; however, should employees like a paper copy they will be given the option to request it by e-mailing Wrenette Tedder. 

Training dates have been set up between March 7th and March 14th for both faculty and staff to attend the next step in assessment and TracDat – Observations and Closing the Loop. An e-mail will be sent out detailing the dates and times the training will be available. A couple of refresher sessions have also been set up. 

Ms. Tedder informed the team that she asked for money in next year’s budget to be able to offer monetary awards for both academic and non-academic departments. 

Discussion 
A majority of the team members returned the assessment plans they were assigned to Wrenette Tedder during the meeting. Ms. Tedder will compile the information and schedule appointments to discuss possible changes. She hopes to be able to meet with groups instead of individuals at this point. Student Services will be meeting as a group to discuss corrections/additions that need to be made. Team members will be asked to attend some of these meetings. All plans are due back to Ms. Tedder by the end of the week. 

The team needs to select one academic and one non-academic assessment plan to use as a model during training and meetings. Chemistry was suggested for the academic model. 

The team needs to help develop a list of key words to use when naming methods. 

The meeting was adjourned at 4:00 p.m. 

March 29

Henderson State University Assessment Team 
Meeting Minutes 
Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Present: Wrenette Tedder, Ginger Otwell, Bruce Smith, Lecia Franklin, Bob Yehl, Katherine Woodall, Haroon Khan, and David Thigpen 

Absent: SGA Representative, Jennifer Holbrook, Pam Ligon, Carl Stark 

Next Meeting: Wednesday, April 12, 3:00 p.m., Dawson Room 

Announcements 
Wrenette Tedder attended the Student Services Director’s meeting on Tuesday, March 28th, to discuss assessment and TracDat. She handed out the written comments the Assessment Team made on their plans. The group went over each plan to discuss ways to improve their plans. 

Wrenette also has several different types of handouts that may be useful to those working on assessment plans. They lay out the different parts of the assessment process. 

A meeting has been set with Dr. Houston on Friday, March 31st, to establish a time during the Fall 2006 faculty workshop for assessment. Wrenette will talk to Dr. Houston about bringing in an assessment speaker to talk to faculty. 

Wrenette Tedder and Jennifer Holbrook will be holding an iWebfolio presentation for the faculty members in School of Business and Ellis College who might be interested in using the portfolios in one of their classes. The meeting will be held in early April. 

The faculty roundtable discussion will be held on March 30th at 12:30 p.m. There may be a conflict with some areas due to director’s meetings being held on Thursdays during that time. 

Approximately 20 people attended the last staff roundtable discussion. The main topic of discussion was about why assessment is needed, what the Assessment Team has accomplished and TracDat. 

Discussion 
Discussion was held on whether the April 14th deadline to revise current plans is still a possibility since some of the areas have not received their feedback from the Assessment Office. Wrenette Tedder stated that she has met with most of the non-academic areas and will meet with the others within the next few weeks. She will extend the deadline if necessary. 

Lecia Franklin asked about the non-academic areas that were not on-line at the time the Team evaluated the plans. Wrenette stated that those areas are being pushed to get their plans in the system as soon as possible. 

The team discussed future roundtable discussions and how to handle them. Wrenette would like to set up different tables in the room with different topics. All of the non-academic team members would need to be available to moderate a table. The same would be set up for the faculty roundtable discussions. The next faculty roundtable discussion has been tentatively set for April 25th. Each academic team member would need to moderate at a table. Wrenette asked everyone to send her a possible topic for a roundtable. Once the topics are gathered, she will put out a list and ask the team members to sign up for one of them. 

Future assessment cycles were discussed. Wrenette would like to have the 2006-2007 assessment cycle given out to faculty prior to the end of the Spring 2006 semester. The Team discussed tentative dates for both academic and non-academic cycles. Wrenette will get with Sharon Gardner, Administrative Assistant for Academic Affairs, to find out if there are any major conflicts with the academic cycle dates. If not, the cycles will be published with the dates the team members agreed on. 

The meeting was adjourned at 3:45 p.m. 

November 7

Henderson State University Assessment Team 
Meeting Minutes 
Tuesday, November 7, 2006

Present: Wrenette Tedder, Ginger Otwell, Bob Yehl, Pam Ligon, Carl Stark, Lecia Franklin, David Thigpen, Ron Dewlen, and Karen Spradlin 

Absent: Bruce Smith, Haroon Khan, Jennifer Holbrook, Flora Weeks, Graduate Representative, Undergraduate Representative 

Next Meeting: Tuesday, November 28, 3:00 p.m. (place to be announced) 

Announcements 
New members were recognized by Ms. Tedder. She also talked about the team members who are transitioning off the Team. 

Discussion 
Ms. Tedder handed out handbooks to the new Team members and copies of the handbook contents to the returning and transitioning Team members to replace what was currently in their books from last year. The handouts given contained documents given to Team members at previous meetings and documents gathered during the summer. The Team proceeded to go over the handbook to refresh all Team members of what assessment is and the Team’s commitment to assessment. 

Ms. Tedder stated, due to the upcoming Higher Learning Commission visit, she has asked all members who are transitioning off the Team be present at the all meetings in order to help the Team prepare for the visit. 

Ms. Tedder stated there would be some changes to how the assessment process for the Team would be done this year. In the past, Ms. Tedder has tried to meet with all departments concerning possible changes to their assessment plan. This year the Team member will meet with his/her area to discuss the changes required by the Team. She will be available to sit in on meetings; however, the Team member will be designated as the point of contact. 

The assessment cycle for 2006-2007 has been established and Ms. Tedder explained the process of starting the new cycle. The departments will use the same objectives for the upcoming year to see if the outcomes can be duplicated again. Each department will use the results from last year as benchmark data for this year’s cycle. However, the methods/measures can be different. Ms. Tedder is putting together an e-mail with explicit details of how the year’s plans will be entered into TracDat along with dates for training, etc. All plans for 2005-2006 must be in TracDat by December 8th. 

Ms. Tedder talked about the Assessment Briefs for 2006-2007. She stated that she would like to produce three annually. Ms. Tedder asked for any ideas for the upcoming Brief. Pam Ligon stated that we may want to highlight certain unit on their assessment accomplishments. For example, David Thigpen’s assessment plan has been uploaded to the web and available for everyone to review. Ms. Tedder asked that any more suggestions be e-mailed to her. 

Ms. Tedder stated that it was time to start setting up the roundtable meetings for this year. She asked for volunteers to help on the staff roundtable committee and the faculty roundtable committee. Pam Ligon and Lecia Franklin volunteered to chair the staff roundtable committee. They will develop dates, times, and topics to discuss. There were no volunteers for the faculty roundtable committee. Ms. Tedder asked the faculty Team members to bring ideas to the table at the next meeting to take the place of the faculty roundtables. She stated that the Team needed to “get the word out” to all faculty about assessment prior to the HLC team being on campus. She also stated the Team needs to develop ways to get students more involved in knowing about assessment at Henderson. 

Ms. Tedder told the Team that the HLC will be looking at the General Education Assessment Plan when they come on campus. 8 tenets were developed during the Peggy Mackey workshop this summer. The Team needs to develop outcome statements linking to the 8 tenets and finish the assessment plan prior to the 2007 visit. She asked the Team to look over the tenets and be prepared to discuss them at the upcoming meeting. 

Ms Tedder stated a faculty Team member must chair the HSU Assessment Team from this point forward. Schools that have recently gone through a HLC visit have stated that the HLC team repeated over and over that the Team needs to be faculty driven. The assessment program at Henderson has been faculty driven; however, a faculty member has not taken the chair role on the assessment team. Ms. Tedder asked for nominations. Pam Ligon nominated Bob Yehl for the chair position. Mr. Yehl is on sabbatical during the spring semester. Carl Stark was nominated also. The Team elected Dr. Stark to be the new chairperson. He will preside over the upcoming meeting. 

The Team members asked if the Administration had looked over the assessment plans for 2005-2006. Ms. Tedder stated she had given each Vice President a copy of the plans for their areas. She has received some comments back from the vice presidents and deans. The team stated feedback from Administration is very important to those who have worked hard on the plans. Ms. Tedder is going to send the Administration another copy of the plans and ask for further comments. 

The Team was asked when a good time to have the Team meetings would be for this year. The majority can meet at 3:00 p.m. on Tuesday or Thursday during this semester. The day and time will be revisited at the beginning of the spring semester. The next meeting has been set for Tuesday, November 28th, at 3:00 p.m. The place has not been established yet. An e-mail will be sent to Team members when this has been completed. 

The meeting was adjourned at 4:45 p.m. 

December

Henderson State University Assessment Team 
Meeting Minutes 
December 2006

Present: Wrenette Tedder, Ginger Otwell, Bob Yehl, Pam Ligon, Carl Stark, Lecia Franklin, David Thigpen, Ron Dewlen, and Karen Spradlin 

Absent: Bruce Smith, Haroon Khan, Jennifer Holbrook, Flora Weeks, Graduate Representative, Undergraduate Representative 

Next Meeting: To be announced 

Announcements 
The strategic goals have been added to TracDat for each of the plans to be linked to, if appropriate. 

The Assessment website is being updated to include all of the paperwork given to the Team, minutes, agendas, etc.. The Assessment Office will seek permission from various departments in order to post their assessment plans on the website. 

The focus visit report is being finished and will be sent to the Higher Learning Commission prior to the Christmas break. 

Discussion 
Dr. Dewlen raised the concern that not enough coordinators are attending the assessment training sessions. Dr. Dewlen suggested that if we really want to ingrain and define issues/outcomes better so that faculty knows more of what HSU is looking for we may need to bring in one area each year to discuss the issues (i.e., Teacher’s College one year, Business one year and maybe split up Ellis college into more than 1 year). We would need to invite the Vice President and Dean for the area also. Ms. Tedder stated that she would re-send the e-mail on training dates to see if she gets more response. 

Ms. Tedder stated that the new plans are basically the same. The outcomes don’t change; however, the methods and tools can be modified if needed. 

Ms. Tedder talked about the Dean’s meeting that she recently attended. They talked about the syllabi for the departments, the issue of publicizing the assessment plans on the department websites, and closing the loop. 

It was mentioned that the Team may want to create a strategic plan and look at what they want to try and accomplish over the next 3 years. This issue was tabled until after the upcoming HLC meeting. 

The meeting was adjourned at 4:10 p.m. 

Back to top