2005 Minutes

February 10

Henderson State University Assessment Team 
Meeting Minutes 
Thursday, February 10, 2005

Present: Wrenette Tedder, Ginger Otwell, Lecia Franklin, Jennifer Holbrook, Pam Ligon, Roberta Miranda, Bruce Smith, Carl Stark, David Thigpen, and Bob Yehl 

Next meeting: Tuesday, February 22, 2005, 3:30 p.m., Location to be determined 

Announcements 
New members were introduced. Lecia Franklin is replacing Susan Collie as the Finance and Administration Division representative. Roberta Miranda is replacing Dawn Higgs as the new Graduate School representative. Tisha Smith, who was not present at the meeting, will be replacing Thomas Nichols as the Student Government Association representative. 

Items distributed to the Team included: 2005-2005 membership list, the Assessment Matrix, a “draft” of the 2005-2006 Assessment Planning Guide, and the “proposed” Academic and Non-Academic assessment cycle forms. 

Mrs. Tedder presented a recap of last year’s progress to the Team. The revised assessment plans from the academic departments are due in to her office by February 28th. Mrs. Tedder has met with several of the departments to go over their plans and advise them on the areas that they need to rework before resubmitting the plans. The Assessment Office has been pursuing software to help smooth out the assessment process. At this time we have not found any software that is affordable. 

Mrs. Tedder also announced that North Central will be on campus between December 2005 and February 2006. 

Mrs. Tedder stated that the Team needed to develop a statement to go into the next Undergraduate and Graduate catalogs about Assessment so that North Central will know we are committed to Assessment. 

Mrs. Tedder asked the Team to decide on the day, time and frequency of future meetings. 12:30-1:30 was mentioned in the meeting; however several members are currently serving on Strategic Teams that meet during this time. It was decided that, for the present, the Team would meet every 2 weeks on Tuedays at 3:30 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. The tentative schedule is February 22nd, March 8th, March 29th, April 12th and April 26th. 

Discussion 
Assessment Matrix – Mrs. Tedder passed out the Assessment Matrix that is being used by North Central and asked the Team to look over the matrix prior to the next meeting. At the next meeting, the Team will discuss where they feel Henderson is (beginning implementation or making progress) in regards to the various areas of assessment. 

Academic Assessment Cycle – Mrs. Tedder stated that the Academic assessment plans were to be revised and submitted to her office by February 28th. She also stated that Columns 4-5 would be submitted to her office by May 13th, prior to the faculty leaving campus for the summer. There was discussion on the 2005-2006 cycle and when the assessment activities would take place. 

Non-Academic Assessment Cycle – Mrs. Tedder passed out the “tentative” cycle dates for the non-academic areas and asked for help from the Team to develop dates for submission and assessment. After some discussion, it was decided that Mrs. Tedder would get with each of the Vice Presidents to find out what their goals were and to set up training for their areas in regards to developing assessment plans. The Team stated the training needed to be completed by Spring Break so that the areas would have sufficient time to submit the plans. A tentative date of April 15th was set for submission of the plans with the submission of Columns 4-5 being submitted by August. The Team stated that, if needed, Mrs. Tedder should approach Dr. Dunn and ask for his support in obtaining cooperation with the various Vice Presidents. 

Mrs. Tedder reminded the Team to look over the Assessment Matrix so that it could be discussed at the February 22nd meeting. A notice will be sent out with the location of the meeting once it has been set. 

The meeting was adjourned at 4:30 p.m. 

February 22

Henderson State University Assessment Team 
Meeting Minutes 
Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Present: Wrenette Tedder, Ginger Otwell, Lecia Franklin, Haroon Khan, Pam Ligon, Roberta Miranda, Carl Stark, David Thigpen, and Bob Yehl 

Absent: Bruce Smith, Jennifer Holbrook, Tisha Smith 

Guest: Dr. Robert Houston 

Next meeting: Wednesday, March 9, 2005, 3:00 p.m., Dawson Room 

Announcements 
Powerpoint presentation and worksheets are ready for the non-academic assessment workshops. Mrs. Tedder is meeting with the vice presidents to let them know about the workshops. 

The Tuesday afternoon meetings are not going to work – Dr. Smith has a class at that time. The next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday March 9th at 3:00 p.m. 

Discussion on the Institutional Assessment Plan and the General Education Assessment Plan will be held at the next meeting. The Team will need to develop timelines for these two plans. 

Discussion 
Dr. Houston visited with the Team to discuss the upcoming visit by the Higher Learning Commission and to answer any questions the Team might have about assessment. It was learned that the Higher Learning Commission has changed to a 5 criteria assessment, which will be used during their visit to Henderson next year. The focus of the 5 criteria assessment is all on student learning. The new criteria just came out earlier this year. 

Dr. Houston stated that Henderson needs a clear cut idea of what the Commission will be looking for when they come to visit so that Henderson can be prepared. 

Dr. Houston stated that the Team needed to complete the University Assessment Plan and that the University needed to complete the General Education Assessment Plan. Dr. Houston also mentioned that we might look at the General Education Plan done by SAU to get some ideas. The Team might also wan to look at the syllabi templates created by SAU to come up with templates that HSU would want to use for course syllabi in the future. These templates would have the assessment information imbedded in them but the course information would still be the responsibility of the faculty members. 

Mrs. Tedder announced that there will be an Assessment Workshop in June, which Henderson will take an 8-member team to. At this time, the members of the team have not been selected. 

The Assessment Matrix was discussed by the Team. The following statements came from the discussion: 
     1. General education assessment is not in place 
     2. Making strides on the academic assessment side of assessment 
     3. University assessment plan needs to be written by the Team 
     4. Workshops, newsletters, etc. need to be created to let the faculty and staff know about the upcoming visit and about assessment 
     5. Need to come up with ideas on how to reach the students in regards to assessment because they will be approached by the Commission during the visit 
     6. Minutes need to be published; however they should be short (maybe bullets) 
     7. Need to place the assessment matrix on the web so that employees can see it 

A notice will be sent out with the location of the meeting once it has been set. 

The meeting was adjourned at 5:00 p.m. 

March 9

Henderson State University Assessment Team 
Meeting Minutes 
Wednesday, March 9, 2005 

Present: Wrenette Tedder, Ginger Otwell, Lecia Franklin, Haroon Khan, Carl Stark, David Thigpen, Bob Yehl, Jennifer Holbrook, and Bruce Smith 

Absent: Pam Ligon, Roberta Miranda, Tisha Smith 

Next meeting: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 at 3:00 p.m. in the Dawson Room 

Announcements 
Minutes were approved for the last meeting, with the correction of a grammatical error and the correction of adjournment time. 

School of Business - all of their revisions will be submitted to her office after Spring Break. 

Teacher’s College Henderson - with the exception of Counseling, all plans have been submitted to her office. Counseling will submit their plans after finishing their accreditations. 

Ellis College – Biology and Chemistry has submitted their plans. Dr. Houston will be meeting with Dr. Sommers to find out the status of the rest of Ellis College. 

Non-Academic Areas – The Assessment presentation has been developed. The Vice Presidents are submitting a list of the attendees for their divisions who will be invited to the workshops. There will be several sessions a week for the non-academic areas to attend and it will focus mainly on what assessment is about (terminology). 

Workshops for Academic Areas – The Assessment & Research Office will be holding some workshops for these areas dealing with developing measures. These workshops will be held after Spring Break. 

Talking Assessment with Students – Mrs. Tedder met with Chad Fielding and he will be setting up meetings with the Student Activities Board, Student Government Association and Greek Council to discuss assessment at HSU. It was also suggested by Mr. Fielding that assessment be discussed in Heartstart and Henderson Seminar. 

Website – The Assessment and Research Website will be updated this semester to include more information on assessment. 

Discussion 
Course Syllabus – Mrs. Tedder passed out a copy of the templates used by SAU for their course syllabi. A discussion was held regarding whether the Assessment Team wanted to approach Dr. Houston with a recommendation to have course syllabus templates developed for each area to use. The template would include an assessment statement. This would be another way of letting students know about assessment and would show the Higher Learning Commission that we are dedicated to assessment. Mrs. Tedder asked Dr. Smith, Dr. Khan and Dr. Stark to bring in a copy of the course syllabus that are used in their area at the next meeting. 

Catalogs – An assessment statement needs to be adopted into future HSU catalogs. In the meantime, an addendum needs to be made to the catalogs on the web with an assessment statement. Mrs. Tedder asked for the Team to e-mail her possible statements prior to the next meeting so that they can be discussed at the meeting and a statement can be developed. 

A copy of the Assessment Program Progress Report sent to Dr. Dunn was given to the Team so they would know where Henderson is in regards to Assessment. 

The meeting was adjourned at 4:30 p.m. 

March 30

Henderson State University Assessment Team 
Meeting Minutes 
Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Present: Wrenette Tedder, Ginger Otwell, Lecia Franklin, Pam Ligon, Carl Stark, David Thigpen, Bob Yehl, Jennifer Holbrook, and Bruce Smith 

Absent: Haroon Khan, Roberta Miranda, Tisha Smith 

Next meeting: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 at 3:00 p.m. in the Dawson Room 

Announcements 
Minutes were approved for the last meeting. 

Update on Academic Assessment Plans – We are the same as last time, with the exception of Counselor Education. Wrenette Tedder will set up a meeting to discuss the Ellis College Assessment Plans and the General Education Plan with both Dr. Houston and Dr. Sommer. 

Update on Non-Academic Assessment – the training session that were previously scheduled have to be rescheduled due to a conflict with the rooms in the Garrison Center. Mrs. Tedder stated that only specific rooms in Garrison are available for use because internet connection is needed. Bob Yehl offered the Library Training Room for any of the training sessions, if needed. New dates will be established and forwarded to those individuals who will be involved. 

Discussion 
Syllabus Templates – Mrs. Tedder asked for an update on the templates for each college. Bruce Smith and Carl Stark stated that their college already had a basic template in place due to the accreditation that each school has to go through. Haroon Khan, via Mrs. Tedder, informed the Team that he has met with Dr. Sommer and that she is working with him to develop a template for Ellis College. He will be scheduling another meeting in the near future to finish developing the template. Once all of the syllabus templates are ready Mrs. Tedder will take the recommendations to Dr. Houston to present to faculty senate. 

Catalogs – Mrs. Tedder gave out examples of assessment statements that other schools are using in their catalogs. She asked the Team to look over the examples and e-mail her ideas prior to the next meeting so the statement can be finalized at the meeting. 

Assessment Planning Guide – Mrs. Tedder asked the Team to help finalize the guide so that it could become “official” instead of a “draft”. She stated that the Team could go with a guide for academic and a guide for non-academic if necessary. It was noted that several of the words used in the academic guide were different than the words used for non-academic. The Team asked that Mrs. Tedder use one word and not interchange between the two groups. Comments on the guide include: 
     1.  Adding outcomes to the glossary 
     2. Change “indended” to “intended” on page 8 
     3. Adding a narrative between the different areas (ex: levels of assessment need 1-2 sentences to lead into another level) 
     4. Need to use everyday terms so it is more understandable 
     5. Put the “draft” out on the web so that everyone can look at it 
     6. May need to put two focus groups together with professors (for academic guide) and staff (for non-academic guide) who don’t know much about assessment to see if they are able to understand the guide 

Mrs. Tedder reminded the Team that there were only 3 meetings left before the end of the school and she asked the Team to come into the next meeting with an idea of what they want to see the Team accomplish by the end of the semester. 

The meeting was adjourned at 3:45 p.m. 

April 13

Henderson State University Assessment Team 
Meeting Minutes 
Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Present: Wrenette Tedder, Ginger Otwell, Lecia Franklin, Haroon Khan, Roberta Miranda, Bruce Smith, Carl Stark, David Thigpen, and Bob Yehl 

Absent: Jennifer Holbrook, Pam Ligon, Tisha Smith 

Guest: Eula Thomas 

Next Meeting: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 

Announcements 
Minutes were approved for the last meeting. 

Mrs. Tedder also stated that she has a meeting set up with Dr. Houston to discuss the syllabus templates and the assessment statement for the catalogs on Friday. 

Eula Thomas, coordinator for the Student Services assessment, was introduced during the meeting. Mrs. Thomas will be sitting in on meetings to help her better understand assessment and what is required from her area. 

Mrs. Tedder stated that the non-academic workshops will be set for May and June. The power point presentation and the goals/objectives/measurements lists are completed. She will be visiting with the vice presidents to get a list of who in their area will be attending the workshops. 

Mrs. Tedder stated that she has been making changes to the assessment website in order to make it more user-friendly. 

Discussion 
Syllabus Templates – Mrs. Tedder asked for an update on the syllabus templates from the three representatives for academics. Dr. Khan and Dr. Smith presented the team with a copy of the templates that will be used for their area. Dr. Stark stated that the School of Business has a committee that is working on their template and it is not ready at this time. The templates will be given to Dr. Houston so that the next step in getting them used by the faculty members can take place prior to the end of Spring 2005. Mrs. Tedder stated that once the templates have been approved she will work with Computer Services to put them in template form for the various faculty to start using. Updates to the template would be made through her office. 

Catalog Assessment Statement – The team discussed various statement examples that Mrs. Tedder gave out at the last meeting. The team narrowed the statements down to two examples. Mrs. Tedder stated that she would send out a copy of the finalized statement to the team members prior to her meeting with Dr. Houston on Friday. 

Mrs. Tedder reminded the team that there were only 1 (possibly 2) meetings left before the end of the Spring 2005 and the committee would not meet again until Fall 2005. She asked the committee what they wanted to complete prior to the end of spring. Dr. Khan stated that he would like to see the catalog statement and the syllabus templates approved and completed prior to the end of the semester. 

Items for Next Meeting
The cycle and steps for the upcoming year need to be finalized. Look at dates for the cycle to be sure it is feasible. A revised copy of the cycle will be e-mailed to everyone prior to the next meeting. 

The meeting was adjourned at 3:30 p.m. 

September 22

Henderson State University Assessment Team 
Meeting Minutes 
Thursday, September 22, 2005 

Present: Wrenette Tedder, Ginger Otwell, Lecia Franklin, Haroon Khan, Bruce Smith, Carl Stark, David Thigpen, Bob Yehl, Jennifer Holbrook, and Pam Ligon 

Absent: SGA Representative, Graduate Representative 

Guest: Eula Thomas 

Next Meeting: Thursday, October 6, 2005 

Announcements 
Wrenette Tedder announced that TracDat training has begun. The Deans were contacted regarding the faculty members who would need to attend the training. Vice Presidents were contacted regarding what staff members would need to attend the training. Tedder asked for volunteers to help her with the training sessions. 

Tedder announced future committee meetings will be held every other Thursday at 3:00 p.m. in the Dawson Room. 

Tedder stated the committee needs to start spreading the word about assessment to employees and to students. The committee will be accomplishing this during the 2005-06 year by holding Tuesday/Thursday roundtable meetings with employees to discuss assessment during the 12:30-1:30 time period. They will also be speaking with the various student organizations. 

Discussion 
Copies of the proposed catalog assessment statement were passed out. Tedder opened discussion on changes to the statement to make it Henderson’s assessment statement. Members of the committee asked that a subcommittee be set up to look over the statement and present the final version at the next meeting. The subcommittee members are: Bruce Smith, Bob Yehl, and Pam Ligon. The committee members agreed to meet prior to the next scheduled meeting and work on the Henderson assessment statement for the catalog. 

Tedder stated the Institutional Assessment Plan has to be completed and asked for volunteers to assist her with the plan. A subcommittee was established and will be meeting in November. The members of the subcommittee are: Carl Stark, Jennifer Holbrook, Ginger Otwell and Wrenette Tedder. 

An assessment newsletter needs to be established and sent out every two months. Tedder asked for volunteers to help with the newsletter. The goal of the newsletter is to be more interactive with employees and let them know what is going on. Ginger Otwell volunteered to put the newsletter together; however, the Assessment Committee will be responsible for getting articles for the newsletter. 

Tedder spokeabout the TracDat system and the Assessment Committee needs to produce a list of Objective names that everyone needs to use when naming objectives for their plan. This will help in pulling reports out of the TracDat system. Bruce Smith agreed to work with Tedder to brainstorm on names prior to the next committee meeting. 

Items for Next Meeting
The assessment statement for the catalog will be finalized. 

The list of objective names for TracDat will be finalized. 

The meeting was adjourned at 4:45 p.m. 

October 20

Henderson State University Assessment Team 
Meeting Minutes 
Thursday, October 20, 2005


Present: Wrenette Tedder, Ginger Otwell, Lecia Franklin, Bruce Smith, Carl Stark, David Thigpen, Bob Yehl, and Katherine Woodall 

Absent: SGA Representative, Haroon Khan, Jennifer Holbrook, Pam Ligon 

Guest: Eula Thomas 

Next Meeting: Thursday, November 3, 2005 

Announcements 
Wrenette Tedder introduced the Katherine Woodall, who is the representative for Graduate School. She also announced that an SGA representative has not been assigned to the committee. 

Tedder is currently working to update the assessment website. Links to TracDat and its training have been put on the website (pdf files for the training manual and powerpoint presentations). She is also in the process of putting the Assessment Team minutes on the site to show what the Henderson and the Team are doing in regards to assessment. 

Discussion 
Tedder talked about the TracDat training and the number of employees from the various schools and divisions that have gone through the training. An e-mail has been sent to each vice president letting them know who has and has not attended the training. Additional dates will be set for those who were unable to attend the training previously. Dr. Smith stated that Teacher’s College, Henderson would like to hold training for everyone at the same time. Tedder will get with Dr. Moore, Dean of Teacher’s College Henderson, to discuss possible dates. She went on to say that Dr. Dunn, President, requested training also. 

Tedder received a call from Marsha Watson, Henderson’s mentor during the HLC assessment workshop held this summer. Ms. Watson asked for a progress report on what Henderson has accomplished since the workshop. Tedder gave her the following information: 
     1. Tedder related to the Team about a conversation with Marsha Watson, the mentor for the Henderson Team that attended the Assessment workshop this past summer. Ms. Watson asked for an update on the progress being made regarding assessment at Henderson. 
     2. The workshop team held a panel discussion at the faculty workshop prior to Fall 2005. 
     3. Tedder attended the Freshman orientation meeting to discuss assessment at Henderson and to give the BCSSE to all first-time freshmen. 
     4. Tedder and Dr. Houston are setting up meetings during the 12:30-1:30 hour on Tuesday’s or Thursday’s to discuss specific assessment issues with faculty and staff. Possible topics include: the importance of a syllabi template to assessment, or the faculty morale survey conducted by the faculty senate ad hoc committee (a part of the strategic plan). 

Tedder will be visiting with Dr. Houston and the vice presidents to set the date for their goals and objectives to be in the TracDat system. Once they are in the system, the departments will be able to link their goals and objectives to both Henderson’s and their vice president’s goals and objectives. 

The assessment statement sub-committee presented the Team with a draft copy of the assessment statement that will go in future undergraduate and graduate catalogs. The statement was approved with two minor changes. Tedder informed the Team that she would present the assessment statement to Dr. Houston for final approval. 

Tedder stated that the institutional assessment plan sub-committee will begin meeting soon to work on the institution’s assessment plan. The beginning of the plan has been written. 

The newsletter sub-committee told the Team that the newsletter is in process and ideas were discussed for the upcoming newsletter. Possible ideas include: HLC criterion information, characteristics of a good assessment plan, direct/indirect assessment, upcoming deadlines, “Why aren’t grades valid assessment tools?”, assessment glossary, university assessment plan, update on TracDat. The Team presented the following ideas: Dr. Houston report on the Chicago HLC workshop, Dr. Dunn talk about the importance of assessment, Basil Miller talk about his assessment, examples or excepts of good assessment plans. The sub-committee hopes to have the issue out in November/December. 

Tedder discussed the possibility of holding an assessment fair in the future to show what has been done in assessment. This fair would have excerpts from assessments that seem to be working - show departments how they should be done. Maybe do a follow-up at a later date. 

Tedder stated that the Team needed to come up with ways to communicate with the students more about assessment. With the upcoming visit, the students need to be aware of what assessment is and what Henderson is doing in regards to assessment. 

Items for Next Meeting
The list of objective names for TracDat will be finalized 

Tentative dates for vice presidents to have their goals/objectives input into the TracDat system 

Tentative dates for departments to have their goals/objectives/methods input into the TracDat system 

The meeting was adjourned at 3:40 p.m. 

November 3

Henderson State University Assessment Team 
Meeting Minutes 
Thursday, November 3, 2005

Present: Wrenette Tedder, Ginger Otwell, Lecia Franklin, Bruce Smith, Carl Stark, Bob Yehl, Katherine Woodall, Haroon Khan, Jennifer Holbrook, and Pam Ligon 

Absent: SGA Representative, David Thigpen 

Next Meeting: Thursday, November 17, 2005 

Announcements 
Wrenette Tedder forwarded the student learning assessment statement to Dr. Houston for approval. Dr. Houston asked her to thank the committee for their work in accomplishing the writing of the statement. He has forwarded it to the people in charge of updating the undergraduate catalog and the graduate catalog. 

Tedder discussed with Dr. Houston the one-hour topic sessions that will be held with faculty and staff during the Tuesday/Thursday 12:30-1:30 times. Topics and times have not been set yet. She will get back with Dr. Houston to set the date and topic for the next session, which will be held prior to Thanksgiving. 

Discussion 
A new idea that is being developed is to award areas for the work on assessment. Dr. Houston, along with each dean, has promised to transfer money to assessment for such awards. The task for the Assessment Team is to develop the guidelines and criteria for awarding the areas. The Team will be responsible for evaluating the applications. The current thought is to give out the assessment awards during the spring, at the same time as faculty service awards. A subcommittee has been set up to look over the guidelines that were passed out earlier and make any suggestions/comments to Tedder at the next meeting. The members of the subcommittee are Haroon Khan, Bruce Smith, Carl Stark and Bob Yehl. 

Deadlines have been set for completion of mission statements and goals by the Vice Presidents and Deans of each area. Tedder is sending out an e-mail to the Vice Presidents and Deans to let them know that their mission statements and goals must be in TracDat by November 18, 2005. All others must have their plans, goals, objectives and measure in TracDat by December 7, 2005. The Team will look over the non-academic plans by February 1, 2006 so that the departments can move forward and begin collecting data. 

Tedder will be holding workshops on developing mission statements, goals, etc before Thanksgiving to any department that requests help. 

A draft copy of the next Assessment Newsletter was passed out to the Team. The Team was asked to forward any comments/suggestions to Ginger Otwell as soon as possible so the newsletter could be completed and sent out. Distribution of the newsletter was discussed among the Team. It was agreed that the first newsletter would be sent out via regular mail to faculty/staff and be put into the student commuter lounge. The newsletter will be published every other month. 

Tedder stated that she and Dr. Houston will be visiting with the Oracle to see about getting articles published in the Oracle regarding assessment and the upcoming NSSE survey. 

Due to the end of the fall semester coming up, Tedder asked the Team if there was anything specific they would like to see accomplished prior to the end of the semester. 

The meeting was adjourned at 3:00 p.m.